Sign in to follow this  
ben16v

car starts, then dies,

went up to a mates house (10mins away)got into my car on the way back and it fired then rev`s dropped and stalled,

started it again and it stayed going as long as i kept a bit of revs,

pulled upto a junction about 30yds along dies again

200yds along and it seems fine!

it`s absoloutly chucking it down and did have a couple of moments of alternator belt slippage, dimming of lights and a little misfire on the way up

maybe obvious i know but do you guys think the stalling is cos of the water or is there anything else i should be looking out for?

1.8 16v BTW

thanks

well, she started first time just now... hope it means i`m ok was just looking for some reassurance really

Had same sort of problem for my Vr6, had a service done and it seems fine, not sure wat the problem was but was cured!!

:wink:

One ting i noticed was b4 the service my spark plugs were loose,

an i tink tis caused the prob, mite be worth checking that!!!

Sounds like it could be water getting in there somewhere - those kinds of behaviour patterns are pretty typical, especially when its lashing it down.

Could be a damaged HT lead or something - might be worth just replacing the cheaper electrical related parts under the bonnet including rotor arm, disty cap, and HT leads. That'll probably sort it.

Sounds like it could be water getting in there somewhere - those kinds of behaviour patterns are pretty typical, especially when its lashing it down.

Could be a damaged HT lead or something - might be worth just replacing the cheaper electrical related parts under the bonnet including rotor arm, disty cap, and HT leads. That'll probably sort it.

A very basic way to check your HT leads is to open your bonnet in the dark, with the engine running. If the leads are broken down, you will see tiny sparks and the leads will have a slight glow in places.

A very basic way to check your HT leads is to open your bonnet in the dark, with the engine running. If the leads are broken down, you will see tiny sparks and the leads will have a slight glow in places.

If you spray a fine mist of water over them it makes it far more exciting!