Sign in to follow this  
steveo29

g60...grinds into reverse

my g60 has always seemed to grind into reverse, i make sure the clutch is right on the floor and the car has stoped

any ideas

Hmm, mine has done this since I had her, about 6 years ago. Went to VW and they kindly diagnosed I needed a new clutch for £300 fitted. I declined their kind offer, and still going fine all this time later. Think it's just a fairly common thing with the C and VW's in general. As per the Owners Manual, you need to wait a few seconds before going from a forward gear in to reverse. I always slip her in to a forward gear like first or second, and then in to reverse, which normally makes it go in to reverse easier, for me anyway. Hope that makes sense!

i find that mine does it more when i put my foot on the brake and clutch at the same time, very rarely does it if i dont press the brake.

its had new master and slave brake and clutch cylinders so it cant be that it also improved quite a lot when i used redline mt90

might also be worth re-adjusting your shift mech.

there is something that engages the reverse into drive and it takes about 2-3 seconds to engage. try pushing down on the shifter, waiting, and then shifting. it worked for me.

yeah i usually find going into 2nd helps....but it still does it sometimes, makes you look like a mupet if your shunting into a space and it keeps grinding

my g60 has always seemed to grind into reverse, i make sure the clutch is right on the floor and the car has stoped

any ideas

My Golf does exactly the same. Not so much grinding but a heavy "clunk" it usually does it after re-starting from hot. I was wondering if the clutch was dragging a little.