Sign in to follow this  
markymark

Exhaust on a 2.0 16v - help needed

hi

forgive my lack of knowledge on exhausts....and please enlighten me.

The exhaust on my C is loose at the back and the 2 rear 'joints' on the exhaust seem to have gone (had a look at it when on the ramp at Kwik Fit). The current exhaust (while I don't know what it is) seems to be non-standard as it is quite a wide pipe.

[Just so you know, I am not after any fancy exhaust - I just want one that works and is reasonable cheap/good value.]

SO....the problems I have been having. Kwik Fit couldn't supply one of the sections of the exhaust. Other dealers I have phoned have said they only have parts for 2.0 16v pre -1994 (mine is 1994). Another garage said they can source it and fit it for around £250. :shock: that sounds crazy price.

What is going on here? Can someone explain to me. Anyone know of good place to go in london? Should I go to VW (how do i do that) and buy it direct and then get it fitted?

Help much needed and appreciated....

A complete system, 3 parts, rear box, centre square box/resonator and front pipe with narrow silencer is not cheap from any source.

There is a centre box on e-bay 8)

Try a VW dealer first on a price for each of these parts, some bits you may be able to source more cheaply (non-genuine VW bits) from places like GSF or Euro Car Parts (ECP)

http://www.eurocarparts.com/

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/

your car should have the bar type hangars, rather than the early corrado hook hangars and should have a chassis number after 50-N-000001 this is generally around the 1992 onwards cars

a 'pattern' tailbox should be easy to source and around the 80 quid mark, the front small pipe should be OK as it gets hot pretty quick and doesn't suffer from condensation or salt spray so much.

Most small/independant garages should be able to fit this for you for about an hours labour at the most, say 40 quid???

David.

hi

forgive my lack of knowledge on exhausts....and please enlighten me.

The exhaust on my C is loose at the back and the 2 rear 'joints' on the exhaust seem to have gone (had a look at it when on the ramp at Kwik Fit). The current exhaust (while I don't know what it is) seems to be non-standard as it is quite a wide pipe.

[Just so you know, I am not after any fancy exhaust - I just want one that works and is reasonable cheap/good value.]

SO....the problems I have been having. Kwik Fit couldn't supply one of the sections of the exhaust. Other dealers I have phoned have said they only have parts for 2.0 16v pre -1994 (mine is 1994). Another garage said they can source it and fit it for around £250. :shock: that sounds crazy price.

What is going on here? Can someone explain to me. Anyone know of good place to go in london? Should I go to VW (how do i do that) and buy it direct and then get it fitted?

Help much needed and appreciated....