Sign in to follow this  
Jstar

Am I mad?

I've been offered a Scirroco Scala 1987 in good condition and runs well. Its a stock car with minimum extras. Does £500 sound like a fair price or am I being had. I've been on Autotrader and it seems a fair price. Just wondering if any of you guys have had any experiences with the Raddo's brother. I'm not getting rid of my C by the way if anyones thinking that.

Am i being mad? :shock:

Cheers

I love Rocco's 1987 Scala will be 90BHP and a little stodgy. These cars never had brakes from new. The worst of any car I ever drove.

Price sounds okay, but until you've seen it "how long is a piece of string"?

Two more things

1. VOLKSWAGEN Scirroco 1.8 Scala, F reg. in met blue, with private number, oil 2862, 1 owner from new, FSH, full MoT, taxed April 05, immaculate condition inside + out, must be seen. £995.

01274 882264 or 07831 131213

Price: £995

From the pic in the trader it looks like new.

2. Wait until next week and you could probably pick up a Phaeton for that money. Come to think of it have they sold one yet????? :-P

Like Storm said.

I had a 1990 GTII with the same engine before my current Scala (the later one with a 112 HP DX lump) and while it's not quite as much fun, you can still enjoy yourself with it.

I'm sure that's just an Irish registration plate, not a private one.

Yup.....well it's a Northern Irish plate!!

For htis sort of price i'm not concerned about speed really I mean the car is nearly 20 years old! God that makes me sound old. I'll probably take the plunge as I'll be able to sell it for roughly the same price. Cheers for your help guys :D

The brakes aren't the worst (have you ever tried a 1974 Golf N?) But they are shockingly bad alongside a Corrados. You get used to them, and drive with plenty of room between you and the car in front.

As a cheap runabout you will be hard pushed to find a better vehicle, in good nick they have a certain kudos and because it is all standard VW mechanicals they don't cost toooo much to run either.

But they are shockingly bad alongside a Corrados

I agree, as I had to find out again yesterday when I took my Mk2 Storm to the bodyshop to have a bit of a rust-hole welded up again (connecting rod fuel filler neck to wheel arch - typical location for water to creep in and eat its way into nice Rocco-metal). This is, of course, because of VWs fatal decision to not swap the engine bay components around as they should have, therefore necessitating the use of that horrid 11-point cross-bar to transfer brake pedal movement to the servo :roll:

I had a 1990 GTII with the same engine before my current Scala (the later one with a 112 HP DX lump) and while it's not quite as much fun, you can still enjoy yourself with it.

Well being the proud owner of a DX-powered (112 bhp injector engine) Mk2 Storm I can say that those EX-powered (90 bhp carb-engine) Roccos do accelerate quite nicely, so don't knock 'm that much, even though in principle I don't like carb-engines ;-)

£500 sounds OK, but check for rust inside the wheel arches, tailgate area, fuel filler neck (entire thing), leaky tank, front strut towers, lower valance front and rear, to name a few potential rust hot spots (although the Mk2s rarely are bad in the rust department, anyway, but better safe than sorry).

Tempest

Tempest

Not all 87 Roccos were carb, Scalas were a special edition which started out as a Carb engined model, then changed over to fi (about 89 - but could be wrong)