Sign in to follow this  
golddust

warning light weirdness

Ok, I've had loads of grief lately resulting in head gasket, expansion tank/cap etc etc.

Anyhow, I've found when I start the car in the morning if I let it idle for say 30 secs the coolant warning light comes on, even though there's plenty of coolant?

However if I drive away immediately or stop the engine and restart the warning light doesn't come on....?

It's a new expansion tank so the sendor should be ok.

Also I've noticed I am still losing a little water, not much by comparison to problems before, about half the expansion bottle every 3 or 4 days which is about 210 - 280 miles for me.

Any ideas on both issues?

Mine does exactly the same man and ive swapped a couple of expansion tanks around but it still does it so ive just put it down to guff wiring

I had very similar problems with mine, and ended up having getting through about 3 expansion tanks! Apparently the problem (according to VW) was that c**p/scale etc was coming through the system into the expansion tank and killing the sensors! After VW gave my coolant a proper flush through and re-fill and another new expansion tank (at their expense), touch-wood I've not had any re-occurance of the problem.

No closer to working it out, but I've noticed it only happens up to 50 degrees (oil temp) as thats when the MFA starts displaying an oil temp.

The engine is still using water too :-(