Sign in to follow this  
CorradoWannabe

No Dash Lights

None of the lights that usually turn on when you turn your headlights on are working in my car. I tried replacing a fuse - chose fuse number 16 - couldnt see one that looked to be specifically for the dash backlight. The other lights such as oil and indicators come on fine.

Is suspect the headlight switch - how do i take it off - im worried i'll break it - any tips? :roll:

Use a Jackhammer :lol:

Just use a blade screw driver and be careful should just pop out easy.

Theres a coil that adjusts the brightness of the dashlights so the metal slider might not be touching it and therefore stopping the lights from working. just make sure theres a good connection between them, easy fix if its that.

Ok i had a look and the metal slider seems to be making perfect contact both sides, the switch rattles when i shake it though - so maybe a part inside it has snapped - did i change the correct fuse? Also can i buy replacement switches at places like GSF or only at the stealers?

Wow funkster - what an amazing guide that is - very useful indeed, thing with mine is that the headlights come on fine - so not sure if i'll try opening it up etc in case the switch stops altogether :roll:

I bought a 2nd hand switch from this forum for £15 - replaced it - and still no lights :( I cannot seem to find any of the fuses saying that they are for the dash lights - any ideas anyone?

Fuse 3 is marked as the number plate light - and on the golf i used to have number plate light and dash lights were from the same fuse - i've replaced this and the number plate light works again - but still do dash lights - looks like it must be the bulbs after all :|

Anyone have any other tips for what to check on this before i have the bulbs replaced? Reason i think its something else is that the heater controls do not light up either. The switch has been changed - the number plate light works.... any help appreciated!

Checked the fuse - and it had blown despite being changed perviously - i put a new one in and number plate light came on - i increaseed the brightness using the dimmer / rheostat and the fuse went again.

So there's a short somewhere in the numberplate / dash circuit. I wired in a stereo not too long ago - one of the wires out the stereo provided current when the car lights were on i think - i think this may be part of the same circuit and causing a short - now just need the time and motivation to sort it out [plus gotta find the keys to take the stereo out!]

I noticed that my number plate lights were out recently - remove the cover to check the wiring isn't exposed and making some dodgy contact and shorting out - that's what happened with me and it knocked out my dash lights.

I finally got to the bottom of this - the illumination light that goes in to the stereo is part of the same ciruit as the numberplate and dash lights - the short circuit was being caused by that wire not being properly covered and insulated. With that made safe a new fuse went in without blowing and the dash lights and numberplate are now back - thanks for everyone's help 8)