Sign in to follow this  
Hans G60.nl

Amplifier troubles

I have for about 6 years an Sherwood class A amplifier; 2x100watts

since i have lowered my corrado, i have incidentally let a wrench fall on the capacitor wich is just behind my amplifier, you can guess what happened... big spark.,.. brrrr.... i was luckily quick with throwing the wrench out my car, but ever since (i allso have put in a new headunit) i have troubles with the amplifier.

since the spark the amplifier which supplies my subwoofer plays for about 10 minutes at full volume, then it collapses, or goes into a protect mode, i don't know because i have built away the whole system in my trunk...

now is my question, could it be that the transistors of the amp have been damaged by the capacitor because of the spark, or do you think the amplifier gets too high input from the head unit (i had an pioneer deh-p835r with 4x40 watts and low voltage pre-outs, i now have a jvc kd-lh3101 pict with high(er) pre-outs)

eversince the cooling plate of the amplifier gets hot (never happened before because a class a amplifier has a built-in cooler)

this here is my current install in the boot

S_S_DSCF0284.JPG

and this is what it allways has been (rear deck speakers changed)

S_hoedenplank15.jpg

I dont understand how the capacitor could've sparked off, isn't it a sealed cylinder with the insulated terminals on the top? You should try checking the Gain settings on your amp, set them low so as not to drive it into clipping at high volume. Class A amps are the most inefficient class of amps so this could be why its getting hot. You could try removing the CAP, I would'nt have thought you would need it if all your powering is the one sherwood.

I can explain why i have a capacitor, when i had just put in my audio, i had much troubles with losing power... after i had put in a new battery i still had troubles, allways hard to ignite the engine..

after half a year of troubles i let my "dynamo" tested (i don't know what it is called in english, but it's the thing that loads the battery)

i have a dynamo that should deliver 90 ampere, but when tested it came out that it could only deliver 40 ampere... so i had it rebuilt and it delivers 110 ampere now, but i allready had built in the capacitor...

the capacitor isn't an original one that you all know from caliber or dietz i.e., but it's one that really is just a capacitor... a blue cylinder that only gives my current a buffer. Because of this, there are no insulated terminals.

the sherwood amplifier allways stayed ice cold before the "spark" problem..

ohh and i should tell... i've had the subwoofer in the subwoofer box of my buddy... he has an rockford punch amplifier, which delivers about double the power my sherwood does, and it played like thunder...

so it allso can't be that it gets too much music in the woofer, i can only think of getting too much power in the amp.... or that it has got a peak voltage during the spark and the transistor(s) got damaged because of that