Sign in to follow this  
VW ASSASSIN

door speakers

i have just brought a 1.8 16v 1990 model

i wanted to put sum speakers in the door panel, i took off the grils and found no speakers there, also it looks like there was never any speakers fitted in there cos there were no screw holes. i brought sum 13cm sony xplod i knew that i would fit into the door panel, but i wanted to know weather it was hard to wire the speakers cos there are no speaker wires showing.

Please help

any info would be much grateful

i would double check there are no wires mate, if not then just run them straight from the head unit through the bellow near the hinge where all the other wires run through, its very easy

Hi Dude,

Just done the exact same thing with the exact same speakers, on my 16V.

Apparently door speakers werent fitted as standard.

You have to take the door cards off, and the bottom tray bits of the dash. The dash is really easy, just undo various screws. The door is a bit harder, locate all screws, and the killer is the door handle. You will see a hole in the bottom. You have to put a screwdriver in here and pull like mad, then just as its about to break, it comes off, and you see that the handle is actually made of two bits, a cover that is clipped on, and the main bit, which is bolted on.

Then you have to take the pods of, decide how you want to fit the speakers. You can use the plastic pins as guides - i alradited them in. Then you have to feed the new wire through the plastic bit in the door. To do this, sellotape the wire to a metal rod, like a coat hanger, and push through, from the car side first.

Then wire it all up.

A point of note. Having fitted the speakers, i think they are too trebly. In the shop, they would have had a better baffle and soundbox than the corrado door. For low down speakers, you dont want trebly speakers, since they are directional, and thus simply pump noise at your feet.

I would suggest changing them and fitting a crossover, which is what ill be looking at this weekend. If you are fitting your speakers in parallel, they need to have the same ohm rating and will half the total ohms on your each affected channel from your amp/head unit. Make sure your amp/head unit can handle this (most have a minimum ohm rating) else itll start smoking!

PM me if you need more info.

DF.