Sign in to follow this  
Elboy

Windscreen

Does anyone know whether it is possible to change a windscreen on a C without buying new rubber seals??

How much does the screen cost from VW, any ideas??

How much do the seals cost??

Can i get away with using the old seals?

are you sure its not covered on your insurance ?

usually you can pay 50 quid excess and get it all done through the insurance it shouldnt effect your policy either

I had the pleasure of getting mine replaced last year under insurance and i'm sure the guy said there were three different styles of windscreen all costing around the £370 - 400 mark.

As for the rubber seals definitely replace them, even if they don't get completely knackered from removing the window you're bound to end up with a nice little leak into your footwells IMHO of course!!

The screen is bonded so the seals don't really matter - but there is a rubber seal round the front that are £30 from VW but the insurance should cover it if you ask for it...

The screens come with the black trim at the bottom attached, make sure its done in a work shop (not outside in this weather) and that they use a proper Sekurit laminated screen (£240+vat from VW but any glass company can get them cheaper direct and can also get top tints)

are there any vw's with a slightly wider rubber trim only about 1mm wider as the last muppets who changed the screen on mine also chipped the paint around the top of the screen and although i have touched up the chips a wider trim should hide them completely.

my car is booked in for a new screen next week so i need the new trim before i take it in

well apparently my insurance is 50 quid excess but its capped at 100 quid!! Obviously the glass is gonna cost more than that. so i've had the new screen put in and instead of it costing me £50 its cost £65 without the rubber and £137 with!! So obviously i've had to have the rubber cos autoglass said they couldn't swap the screen without damaging it. But it seems they have skanked me on the price of it. So what should have cost me £50 ended up at £137 and to top it off they made a huge mess in my car, didn't put the screen in properly and after i complained they said they will ahve to put another one in for me.

Anyone know about the exterior trims on windscreens?

Just bought a VR missing the exterior trim - the screen is stuck in right its just missing the trim that covers the gap / messy glue bit.

Where can these be got from???!

well apparently my insurance is 50 quid excess but its capped at 100 quid!! Obviously the glass is gonna cost more than that. so i've had the new screen put in and instead of it costing me £50 its cost £65 without the rubber and £137 with!! So obviously i've had to have the rubber cos autoglass said they couldn't swap the screen without damaging it. But it seems they have skanked me on the price of it. So what should have cost me £50 ended up at £137 and to top it off they made a huge mess in my car, didn't put the screen in properly and after i complained they said they will ahve to put another one in for me.

are you sure the £100 figure is not the XS that you'll have to pay if you don't use their preffered supplier???

I had my windscreen relplaced about a month or so ago.........what a mstake that was! I claimed it through my insurance company with an excess of £50 windsceen cover. I had to return twice becasue a bunch of monkeys fitted it at the RAC branch in Reading. First time they smashed the new windscreen then second time round they did a boj job of the seal round the edge of the windscreen.....! DONT GO TO RAC READING!!!!

I had my windscreen relplaced about a month or so ago.........what a mstake that was! I claimed it through my insurance company with an excess of £50 windsceen cover. I had to return twice becasue a bunch of monkeys fitted it at the RAC branch in Reading. First time they smashed the new windscreen then second time round they did a boj job of the seal round the edge of the windscreen.....! DONT GO TO RAC READING!!!!

i would probably suggest not going to any of the rac windscreens branches http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight= i have only driven the car about 20 miles since as the damage they caused makes it look like a heap :mad: hopefully it should be better than before once its been re-sprayed so im just looking forward to the end of this month. i might even take a trip down to the rolling road meeting if it looks good enough.