Sign in to follow this  
Dancing Fish

Front Speaker in Parallel - Crossover Needed?

Hi,

The car is a 1991 1.8 16V. There were no door speakers fitted. Currently in the facia are some 70W Sony customs (70W 45hz - 25khz).

I bought some Sony Explode 13cms (130w 80hz-23khz 4 Ohms - Cheap but sounded okay in the shop) and fitted them in the door pods. This involved aralditing the buggers to the plastic pins since there didnt seem to be any proper fixings.

Since my head unit only has outs for one set of front speakers, i connected the new door speakers to the wires of the current facia's through standard terminal clips, thus running the front in parallel.

Job done well I thought - 12hrs (ahem!!) but got there in the end.

So i turned it on, and it sounds like arse. The door speakers have no bass - when i did a test run whilst driving i actually had to stop the car, put the fader to front and put my ear to the pod to check they were even working!

Could this be because I routed them in parallel and did not use a crossover, or are the speakers/door pods just rubbish. What i find confusing is there seems to be more bass and general noise from the facia speakers.

Should I rewire, or will fitting a crossover work and how? (I want actual electrical physics answers please!).

Oh, and i cant take the speakers back, since, as previously mentioned, i araldited them in!

FYI Pioneer 6X9 on rear shelf. Alpine CD Receiver with 4X35W output.

Cheers, DF.