Sign in to follow this  
Hocuspocus

Dumb Newbie Questions

Hi folks – I’m in love with the Corrado VR6 and really want to take the plunge. Have test driven a few now, and the one I like best has about 95k on the clock and feels pretty good on the road. No timing rattles, no tappets (or are they auto adjusters?), even type wear, ABS light on at start and off again, roof/spoiler work … all great. BUT, I’ve got a few niggling concerns – what do you reckon:

· Shut lines – bonnet seems to sit low, maybe 3-4mm all the way along the bonnet, on both sides. Obviously I’m concerned about a front end ding, but the car is HPI clear and pulls/brakes pretty straight, although she will drift a bit to the left. Is there any adjustment that could have been done wrong?

· On the subject of shut lines, the passenger door is fine at the leading edge but about 2-3mm proud along the trailing edge … could be that the lug is off position, but in the context of the above …..

· Heater – did work on 4, now doesn’t work at all. From what I’ve read, sounds like a thermal resistor/control contact. Any thoughts?

· Heated seats didn’t feel very hot. Maybe it takes a while for heat to come through but I didn’t really notice it on the 10 min test drive.

· V5 – here’s one I should know – he says its gone to DVLA because the previous owner had a private plate. I’ve said I’ll wait till V5 comes back. HPI is clear and bears out what the guy says about private plate, although the car already has a “normal” plate, so something smells fishy about that.

· Wipers – they been bent around, but they are awful! Do I have to replace the whole arm with Lupo ones, or just the blades?

Thanks for all your help - really appreciate it. This site is a gold mine of info!

Hocus

heated seats - the weight of a person over 10yrs can stretech the wires so the circuit gets broken. if you switch the heat on you should hear a relay click in the rear pass 1/4 panel area. I fixed mine and its lovely now :)

- plate/V5 - I wouldnt worry too much he prob just put the old plates on as they usually give the same number back. Defo wait on the V5 tho to confirm.

Thanks VR6 Pawwwwwr! That's a good point! I'll double check.

As for the plate/V5, it probably isn't anything to worry about, but its actually got a new plate on now (I know what the original plate was and its not the same as the one on the car now), but the plate on the car checks out OK with HPI, so must check out with DVLA. Just being cautious I guess!

Thanks for the tips!

Hocus

To replace with Lupo GTI wipers you replace the whole arms by buying to drivers arms kits which come with blades and then buy a passenger side wiper only. You fit the drivers arms to both sides then put the passenger side lupo blade on the drivers side of the corrado and drivers blade on the passenger side!!!!

Both kits and the passenger blade will ocst just over £50 form the dealers!!!!!

Hocuspocus, odds are that the fan motor is now utterly knackered and the bushes are totally dead which is why it's no longer working. New fan (or a second hand one out of a MKII golf) will sort that out along with a thermal fuse (About 50p from Maplin electronics) and you'll have a 4 speed fan once more... 8)

Oh, and welcome to The Forum... 8)

Thanks Henny - that makes sense - I was always wondering why the thermal fuse might go, and guess the answer will be because the fan is knackered and drawing more current than norm ... bang goes thermal resistor, and shortly afterwards, bang goes fan!!

Thanks for the tip Henny!

Anyone any ideas about the shut line of the bonnet?

Cheers,

Hocus

There is a lot of adjustment in the hinges to get it right again.

Just make sure you have a good look at the inner wings to make sure they are in shape, and make sure the piant all matches, best to look under different lights, I find petrol stations are good to show a bad match.

Pablo - Youo should notice with the 2 drivers blades that it is ok but when on the drivers side just catches the top window rubber or at least almost does.

If you put on the passenger side wiper from the lupo GTI on the drivers side it lowers the blade about an inch and brings it level with the original wiper position

Gibber - that is exactly what I wanted to hear! The shut lines are very even and parallel, so I suspected they are actually OK. Obviously, unless there is some adjustment, I would be talking rubbish, and there would be a problem ... a careful check of the near wings next ...

Thanks for all your help.

Hocus

As for the plate/V5, it probably isn't anything to worry about, but its actually got a new plate on now (I know what the original plate was and its not the same as the one on the car now), but the plate on the car checks out OK with HPI, so must check out with DVLA. Just being cautious I guess!

Thanks for the tips!

Hocus

it also depends on what area/registration code the original number plate was for.......eg if the car was from London and had a P/P change up in my neck of the woods(Aberdeenshire) then it would get a local(to me) replacement number if it was to get the P/P changed again........if ya know what i mean :wink: