Sign in to follow this  
RACK

It's time!!!

I'm gonna be ripping out and re-building the engine in the next couple of weeks.

It's getting treated to Lightened & Balanced Bottom end, 83mm forged pistons and newman 268 cam.

I've just got a few questions;

1) Is it worth getting a set of red top injectors and 3.5bar FPR?

2) Should I get an SNS Chip?

3) Should I go for G40 plugs, are they W5PO?

4) Where is it best to get all the seals, gaskets and bearings from, and which one's will I need?

5) Any other bits I'll need?

Thanks in advance

RACK

P.S. No doubt I'll think of a few more in a bit

1) depends on what chip you are going to be running, but I'd say yes to the injectors, and maybe (depending on chip) to the FPR

2) YES, although you may need to get it custom mapped on a rolling road to ensure that you're running at the optimum for your new engine... budget around £300 for a rolling road remap (http://www.chipwizards.co.uk gets a HUGE plug from me! ;) )

3) Ask G-man, or get 'em off ebay

4) Euro or GSF for bearings, gaskets and seals. Buy a full headset from VAG or GSF (make sure if it's GSF they supply the metal one!) and a full block set from either euro or GSF...

5) change the 3 plastic water parts (front of head, side of head and thermostat housing) the water pump (GSF) oil pump (only use VAG or uprated!), oil sump, and oil cooler... probably worth lobbing a set of tappets in too while you're doing the cam. Oh, and you'll need the splash guard from VAG when you change the oil pump 'cos the old one WILL break as you try to remove it... :roll:

Cheers Henny, unfortunatly I'm not going to do the deed myself, it's my mate who's doing it (head mechanic at VW stealers). I'm trying to get as many bits together as possible without bugging him all the time, cos he's doing it for me for not much cash. He did a top job with my Mk1 GTi engine so this one should be better.

I'll get on the phone in a bit and order a load of bits.

Cheers mate

RACK

you may also want to consider sticking a new Dizzy on the list too... the odds are that the hall sender in the one you've got will be on it's way out, so it's as well to do it now unless you've recently had one... ;)

Sounds like it's gonna be a good 'un then, good luck! 8)

If you need any advice, you know how to get hold of me... ;) 8)

OOPS! Almost forgot... HEAD BOLTS, Con-rod cap bolts + Nuts and drive shaft bolts and a MKI Golf (DX engine code) crank bolt and washer! :roll:

Cheers mate, I'm wanting to get it all run in quick so that when Daz has the x-flow kit ready I can just pop the head on and it's all go.

I'm going to see my VW mate later for the MOT on my GF's Corsa sport so I'll have a word.

No doubt Henny I'll need a few more tips and advice, it's a good job you don't charge.

As soon as some progress is made I'll get some pics up.

Gonna pick up the headbolts, head gasket and big end shells from VW this afternoon, it was £140 for these bits.

Gonna order the tappets from GSF later too.