Sign in to follow this  
markymark

Repairing paintwork

I've got a thick scratch about 20cm long above the rear wheel arch on my red C.

1. Is there any trick to prevent rust in the short term (ie anyone know of anything i can put on it in the meantime to prevent further corrosion)?

2. WHat the best/most economical way of getting it sorted? Is it poss to buy touchup paint/spraypaint/'pen'? Can you still get matching colours for a 1994 Corrado?

All advice/help much appreciated!

THanks

Yep can still get touch up pens for C's, just pop into VW (under a fiver), I bought touch up pack last year you get paint and lacure in a pack. Cover scratch as a temporary measure anyway and to prevent rust, depends how bad it is. Might be worth saving some pennies and getting it into a bodyshop. I am still saving and waiting for some better weather before I do mine.

is this a straight red, or a metallic/pearlescent?

If it's straight red (it'll be Flash if it's a '94) you can still get the touch up pens from VAG which will be a bloody good match... Get a primer pen from somewhere like Halfords and put a layer of that into the scratch, then a few thin layers of the touch up... build it up until it's slightly proud and then buff it back with a good quality cutting compound and you should be able to get it to dissapear! 8) (at least, that's how I did it on my first Tornado red Corrado ;) )

Thanks alot for that guys. have bought the paint and will get to it.

Just out of unexperienced curiosity - when you say 'pop into VW' - what do you mean? A VW dealer? (or are there place you can go to buy from vw direct?)

ta.