Sign in to follow this  
brookescourt

Removing the boost return system (again)

That's what i thought.... The only place i can think of is where i connected the k&n breather to the end of the isv pipe, - i used a filter with a rubber end so the jubile clip holding it on is essentially squeezing rubber against rubber. Other than this, the charger's blanked so the only other place it could be is from the butterfly valve. Is there a chance that this isn't opening/closing correctly? - it wasn't doing this before i removed the return pipe...

well at part throttle the butterfly isnt closed completely... it is still letting off boost. so under certain conditions it will whistle. mine does this.. however i know i have some serious boost leak problems right now. if the butterfly whistles at wide open throttle then thats a problem..

I just wondered how the people who have done this mod are getting on with it?

I have since refitted the boost return having got tired of cleaning oil from the rocker cover and the underside of the bonnet everyday and the bloody noise drove me mad too.

I will probably wait and see what Bilal and Darren come up with, I know both have things in the pipeline.

Cheers,

Rob.

well to help the noise you can leave the rubber elbow on the boost return and aim it so that it is as quiet as possible. and as far as the oil goes.. either run a line down to where the oil can drip without being seen or get a catch can.

i wish i could tell you how im getting on but my car is parked :mad: :mad: :mad:

rob are you after a g-werks re-circ kit then :lol: you allready have the blanking plate dont you ... so you will only need a few more bits

ps the wont be any oil anywhere either...

Here's my setup. I removed the boost return completly and used a block off plate with a fitting on the intake side of the charger. I have a hose running from my crankcase breather to this fitting.

Image001a.jpg

blockoffplate.jpg

As for whistling...you will have whistling as long as you are not at WOT. When not at full throttle, the butterfly on the by-pass side of the charger is open, releasing unused boost. It has always done this (whistling), but now it is audible because it's left open to the atmosphere.

ps...yes...I know she's filthy. She'll get a nice cleaning soon :wink:

Hehe...thats my #2 charger. My #1 is gettin a much needed rebuild and a stage "hold on to ya nutz" porting. I have a nice RSR outlet for my #1 :D

well at part throttle the butterfly isnt closed completely... it is still letting off boost. so under certain conditions it will whistle. mine does this.. however i know i have some serious boost leak problems right now. if the butterfly whistles at wide open throttle then thats a problem..

The constant whistling on mine is seriously LOUD. Sounds like LOUD gearbox whine - the noise you get on a lot of cars when in reverse gear.

Maybe due to a boost leak ?? I'll be renewing all cooler pipework soon as I'm fitting a front mounted cooler. Gonna see what it sounds like when I've finished.

Black_G60, No offence mate, but isn't putting the breatther and ISV piping back into your system not just a bit of a waste of time? it dilutes the octanre rating and looses power apparently. Best bet is to run them to a catch tank. lookin good though 8)

To do this you need to move the rad considerably though don't you? - What the best way to do this, - is it a case of fabricating new brackets e.t.c?
another golf on here cheers

mate !!!!love it