Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

Fitment issues - Porsche wheels, 20 mm adapters + coilovers

Hi all,

I have a set of Porsche wheels to go onto my C. They are all 8 x 16" in size with ET 58 offset and I am about to buy a set of adapters to convert 4 x 100 PCD to 5 x 130 PCD (Porsche fitment). However, the car will be getting coilovers soon and I need to know what width of adapters I require before I get them ordered as don't want to find that the the wheels / adapters foul the coilovers. I have been told that 20 mm (making offset ET35) will be ok but in another post I have read that using 20 mm ones will foul if using coilovers. I can get 20 mm, 25 mm or 30 mm adapters.

Can anyone help ?

Cheers,

BigEastSideVWG60

any coilies and wheels with an et higher than 35 are gonna cause problems.i had the same problem with my mk3 vr and standard wheels.

i bought a set of 90's this weekend with 20mm adaptors and they fouled on the rear spring platforms.as a temporary measure ive put 5mm spacers on too.

you can get away with 25mm depending on the tyre size on the 8's.mine are 215's and theres about 1-2mm clearance.a stretched 195 would probably help.

i'm on the hunt for a set of 30mm just to be safe.

ET higher than 35 ??

Sorry, have checked the offset of my wheels and the offset is actually ET 52.5 (making the offset ET 32.5 with 20 mm adapters). So bearing this in mind surely they should fit without clearance issues ?

Why doesn't these fit on your car, what coilovers / car are the wheels on ? ET 32.5 should be absolutely fine ? What is fouling, the wheels, the adapters or the tyres ?

I am going to be using 205 40 R16 tyres all round and I currently have these tyres on my other set of 16" rims with no fouling problems.

Cheers,

BigEastSideVWG60

i would

ive got fk 's, 8inch rears with 215 45 tyres.its probably more a case of the tyres being the issue. but when i torqued up the rear wheel with just the 20mm adapter the platform was pushed right into the sidewall.obviously didnt drive it.lol

i'm running a 20mm adapter + 3mm shim.

what offset are your wheels? without adp and shims?

I am going to be using 205 40 R16 tyres all round and I currently have these tyres on my other set of 16" rims with no fouling problems.

I was thinking about getting a set of FK KonigSports but not so sure now if I will have fitment problems. I would rather not use spacers as already using adapters means using another bit of metal between hub and adapters which is not ideal :-(

Strange as well as have a mate using the same wheels on his VR6 Corrado with 205 40 R16 tyres all round and standard suspension and he has no problems ?

Cheers,

BigEastSideVWG60

you'll have no probs with standard suspension cos the strut doesnt have threaded body.its the additonal width of the adj spring platforms that cause the problems.

i agree spacers and adaptors arent ideal.its only a temporary solution till i can get my hands on some 30mm adaptors.

Yeah,

Just that using 30 mm adapters will push offset to ET 22.5 which makes 8 x 16" wheels stick out past the arches, which is an MOT fail and a sure way of getting pulled by the boys in blue, unless you get arches modified to suit. Best way is it avoid and still look ok is to get 25 mm adapters I would have thought ?

Cheers,

BigEastSideVWG60

with the set up as it is on mine.i think there is room for another 5 mm spacing(ie 30mm adaptors)

i ve been out in it with two people and given it a pasting and havent had any rear arch problems.

ive got 25mm of thread left on the coilies maybe i'm just not low enough.lol.

the more i think about it the more im convinced its the odd size tyres that are causing my problems. its a pity they are brand new otherwise id have swapped them over.i think with a 195 or 205 a 25mm spacer would be fine.

i still wouldnt chance a 20mm adaptor and coilovers tho if i had a choice of thickness' available.