Sign in to follow this  
goodridge

Anyone good with Carb's?

Hi guys got a prob with my brothers Jetta which is driving him and me mad! Can anyone help?! Basically, the throttle sticks open and the idle stays extremely high (like 2000rpm plus) I swapped the carb with one from the scrappy which ran ok for a day then the same happened. From what I gather there are 3 cold start enrichment devices, the auto choke, the waxstat, and the vacuum pull down unit. I've changed the waxstat ( i now have three carbs for spares! :x ) to no avail. I dont think the auto coke could make it rev that high?! So to the vacuum pull down unit. The rod that comes out of this pushes against the throttle butterfly lever. There are two solenoids on the pull down unit to which the wiring is ok ( I have checked) What I need to know is does the second temp sender control this unit, i.e. when the engine is hot it retracts the rod thus allowing normal idle? Sorry for the long post. Hope someone can help?! Thanks

John

I'm far from a carbs expert, but I used to have a similar problem with my old Scirocco GT2

a couple of useful links from my bookmarks looking out the problem

http://www.hallvw.clara.net/jettachoke.htm

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/?t=8799

Also worth checking the coolant level - IRIC, if it's very low it can produce similar symptoms ;)

Thanks mate. A few good pointers within that lot. I can understand why so many people say they have changed to manual choke webers!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

The throttle cable is fine. I'm almost certain it's whatever that is controlling the vacuum pull down unit which is up the shoot. :mad:

i had the same problem with my golf 1800 gl, and the only real cure is a weber 32/34 carb, you can piss about changeing the setting and adjustmens on those carb allday, and the next time it's cold it'll still rev to 2500 and stay there till its red hot, honestly, get the weber, not only do you get BETTER eco but much better performance,.