Sign in to follow this  
Bobby

idle set up probs

tried to start my corrado this morning and it fired up fine but when it came to idle on tickover the revs just kept dropping until the car stalled, after a quick adjustment of the idle screw the car ticks over nicley but a bit on the high side of 1000rpm, also i've realised that the revs rise when i press the brake pedal, even whilst driving?! i'm going to clean out the idle stabiliser valve tommrow with some petrol or redex carb cleaner, is there anything else i should check whilst i'm in there.

the car is a 1990 corrado 1.8 kr 16v and seemed to be fine until today, but the brake and revs thing has been going on for some time, also if i leave the car idling after a run the revs start to fluctuate up and down :roll:

any help is much appreciated :D

Have been having idle troubles myself have got a 2.0 16v 1995 mine was idling high when warm and hunting in between 800 to 1500 rpm changed isv plus temp sensor to no sucsess my motor is in the garage at the mo and the mechanic rekons he has solved it with a throttle body clean out get it back tomorrow will update u also mine used 2 cut out occasionally when dipping the clutch at junctions temp sensor seemed to sort that

If your gonna clean out the ISV then use petrol and NOT carb cleaner as it is very abrasive and could do more damage......

i cleaned out the isv and now the car fires up and idles at 25000 rpm, :shock: checked all the vacuum hoses and noticed one had broke off and replaced this, but still no joy. the idle screw is srewed fully in, what else could be doing this, blue temp sender where is this located and how can it be checked?

ok thanks will have another look been advised to look for an air leakage, something does seem to make a hissing noise when the engine is turned off and sounds like its coming from the airbox area, anyone know if the microswitch is changable? checked my mates 16v corrado and when you press the microswitch in on that it doesn't do a lot but his car ticks over fine, what exactly does this switch do when its pressed? I'm thinking as the throttle cable is not being moved and the petrol flow is constant (as far as i know) the only other thing that can be making the eninge stick on high revs in too not enough air? Running out of ideas now

Hello mate,Check the large rubber inlet boot carfully

for cracks,turn on ign.,does the idle valve buzz/humm?,

no buzz=possibly seized valve.,clean with white spirit.

Check Injector 'O' Rings for tight fit,sticking throttle

cable,Inlet manifold Gaskets-spray with WD-40 with

engine running,dirty/sticking throttle plates,check small

'O' Ring on idle screw carefully,Mine got spat out at 155mph

going down Rome airport's motorway while"testing"...

changed all the pipes going to the airbox and also the metering unit aswell and set up the mixture a bit richer, did find one black wire that had was dangling loose had a black covering over a brown sleeve so assumed it was an earth so i grounded it and made the radiator fan come on!!!! will check all the vacuum hoses but i'm thinking that its either the master cyclinder for the brakes or the isv so will try a new isv first, mechanic said he will check the timing aswell.

Bobby, you'll find that the wire is brown with a THIN white stripe. It's supposed to connect onto the fan-run-on temp sensor, but I'm not sure where it lives on the KR engine... :|