Sign in to follow this  
24V Renshaw

What Gearbox. 6 speed? technical question.

Right,

I have a bit of a dilema.

I have the 6 speed box on the 24v V6 but I don't want all the hassle of fitting it to Rado as there are a lot of differences (driveshafts need shortening, gearbox mount needs fabricating, transfer box will get in the way etc..)

However I don't want an old VR gearbox in there when everything else is nice and new, but I do want to use the VR6 gearbox as it will mount in perfectly.

I have heard that I can use some of the parts from the 4motion box to create a six speed version of the VR6 box anyone know anything about this?

Also bit of a basic question but what is a VR6 box, O2M? O2A? and what is a VR6 4motion box? 02????

Cheers

Jay

Vr box is an 02A. v6 4 motion, er32 and TT etc are an 02M. totally different design and family of gearbox, no parts are interchangeable.

You can make the 02M fit, but like you have already pointed out, it requires custom brackets and shafts and it's a bit too big to fit in the A2/A3 chassis

your best bet would be to buy that gemini/vw motorsport 6 speed off trippy, and put a vr6 bell housing on it. and change the shifter tower to an 02j (golfskoda 5 speed) and use the mk4 golf/ mk5 polo type shifter)

get vince at stealth to build it, and consider a quaife or peloquin diff and final drive options whilst you're at it an having it rebuilt (3.6, 3.94 or 4.2 if you're mad! don't use the 3.3 final drive unless you plan a 400bhp turbo)

I know I keep going in about it for years, but it really is one of the best things you can buy for a VR6. 200bhp is plenty for a fwd car, but the vr gearing kills it and totally ruins the car.

My box must have cost me £2500 all in, but I can honestly say it was worth every single penny, I can't fault it at all and I have no regrets whatsoever (apart from not paying the extra £300 for the semi straight cut 1st and 2nd gears) about spending that sort of cash on a box full of oil and metal, because there's no way I'd have got the same sort of performance gain from spending the same amount on engine work.

13.75 1/4 mile with it in a golf, 14.444 with it in my corrado (with only 197bhp), 3rd place at Kames, 3rd and 4th places at curborough at clubgti track days, 2nd place overall in 2003 at york dragway, it's got to be doing something for me!

My 2p.

Phats gearbox is most definately a work of touring car sounding art, but....it depends on how much cash you are wanting to spend.

The 02M box is not to big to fit into the corrado, I fitted one in my mk2 golf 20vt, but it wont go straight in, you have to modify the gearbox mounting points on the subframe, as well as getting custom driveshafts made up, and let me tell you, trying to measure how long your driveshafts need to be is a proper laugh

:drinking:

So in summary, yes the 02M box will go in the corrado, and if I were you I would fit it, but it does involve a bit of work though. Nothing too complex I might add.

one thing though, your 02M box with come with the transfer box for the 4wd on it, will you be keeping that on it? or have you totally decided against 4wd :wink:

My box must have cost me £2500 all in, but I can honestly say it was worth every single penny, I can't fault it at all and I have no regrets whatsoever (apart from not paying the extra £300 for the semi straight cut 1st and 2nd gears) about spending that sort of cash on a box full of oil and metal, because there's no way I'd have got the same sort of performance gain from spending the same amount on engine work.

when you buy a 6speed gemini box do you get a complete gearbox or do they convert your gearbox to 6speed or is it an exchange deal?

coxylaad wroteand let me tell you, trying to measure how long your driveshafts need to be is a proper laugh

but are you going to tell us what lenght they are because your such a nice chappy :D :D and it would save us a lot of messing about :wink:

dunno that one jay :roll:

20v turbo, I would tell you the sizes but I think I actually got them wrong on the golf! I think they were 1cm too short on either side :oops:

the car was a bit funny on full lock. I didnt take into account the fact that the outside driveshaft in a turn gets stretched a considerable amount.

But if you want I will PM you with as much info as I have - thats if I can find the drawings they did for me

I can get you the details of the shafts I have on the corrado, but to use them you will a) have to have a transfer box in place, b) be runnning the VR6 plus axle setup, and c) you with have to use the Mk4 engine mounting system as the engine sits nearly an inch further to the right of the engine bay.

when you buy a 6speed gemini box do you get a complete gearbox or do they convert your gearbox to 6speed or is it an exchange deal?

it's a 3rd-6th gearkit. you have to have a gearbox to have it fitted to. they don't make complete gearboxes, just gear kits and diffs.

What is the difference between an O2J and an O2A gearbox?

Can I just buy a newer 02J gearbox and put a VR6 02A bell housing on it?

Jay

yes you can, but you need to make sure the gears are "right" first.

I've got an audi A3 1.8T box sat heare going cheap if you fancy it? I think that's got a 3.9 final drive in it, I'll get the code off it. you'll have to change the drive flanges to 100mm ones though.

no idea on the mileage I'm afraid, but it's out of a 1999 A3, albeit one that's been in a smash (although I know the gearbox didn't take a hit as hit the other corner.

only £100 if you want it? in fact, you've probably stepped right over it, it was on the floor in front of my mates rallye when you came round the other week!

yes, you would need a v56 bell housing. speak to stealth racing, he has loads of vr bits, and he'd be able to advise on the ratios in that box too. it was an 1999 A3 1.8T, with an AGU engine.

well i'm currently runing the O2J box which came from a 99 golf with the agu engine,i know im running the 20V and 16'' rims but i've just put a longer 5th gear in mine due to the engine doing like 4500rpm's at 80mph it's now doing about 800rpm less and a lot nicer to drive on the motorway's.

know idea mate just rang vince at stealth told him my problem and he said you need this and this so of i went bougth 2 gears and fitted them yesterday :D.he did say something about it been a .8something and now it's a .7something 5th gear :?

yeah, the 5th gear is accessible behind the black end cover.

The number he's talking are the ratios between the teeth on the 5th pinion and driven gear.

I've got a 0.75 6th in mine, the stock gemini ratio wouldn't have suited my 3.94, but the chaps at gemini kindly let me have a 0.75 at no extra charge. gave me 100mph at 4000rpm on 15"s.

After to having a chat with Vince at Stealth he said stick with an 02A box with the standard final drive, as its my daily driver. So I have bought a complete MK3 Golf VR6 engine and box cheap (will be selling off the VR6 engine and loom) and am going to strip down and rebuild the box. I have also bought a Quaife TBD (torque biasing diff) to go in the 02A box.

So I reckon that will be a nice combo, a basically brand new 02A box with a Quaife diff. Should work well with the 24v I reckon.

Jay

know idea mate just rang vince at stealth told him my problem and he said you need this and this so of i went bougth 2 gears and fitted them yesterday :D.he did say something about it been a .8something and now it's a .7something 5th gear :?

:puppydogeyes: I had that issue with my mk2 and the 02m box. but I was running 16"s on 40 profile tyres. If my gearing is too low I will be fitting a bigger set of tyres :?

does anyone know what rpm the 4motion golf is at 80mph in top?