Sign in to follow this  
willwoll100

Battery Voltage

Found that my battery light is on on the dash, when running the volts read about 11.75 and when ignition off it goes up to 12.20. My cars been at a standstill for a few weeks with the battery removed. I've found a spade connector not connected to anything and I can't see where it could go, it's situated at the front middle bottom of the radiator area. The wire colour is black and yellow any ideas if this could be the problem???

It's a VR6 by the way and the battery has been tested and is ok.

Battery voltage should be more than 12.2 with everything switched off. Try running the engine and measuring the voltage before and after turning everything eletrcial on. If the voltage drops significantly then its a dead alternator (assuming everythings wired correctly), although it should be reading 14+v accross the battery terminals with the engine running as supercharged says. If the voltage doesn't drop much then most likely a dead battery. Try turning everything eletrical on with the ignition off - if the voltage drops a lot then its definately a dead battery.

If the alternators not been charging it then it may be re-chargeable (fixable) with a decent battery charging system - optimate is a good one.