Sign in to follow this  
matt_corradovr6

soft brakes

just got my vr6 back after having the diff rebuilt. it has been stood for a couple of weeks and the brakes feel very grumbly. the pedal also feels very soft. could the box bein out have affected the hydraulics for the brakes?? when the pads are worn does the brake warning light come on or not? or shall i just bleed the brakes?? ne help much appreciated! :)

It may have just built up corrosion on the discs and pads, probably just needs to driven for a week or so to get the feel back into the pedal...

Mine was in the bodyshop for over 2 weeks and now, a week later, the brakes are just starting to feel responsive again.

cool i drove it from bucks to leeds last night and it was horrible braking from speed for the first time. might bleed them any way. what are the best pads to use if i do have to change them.

matt_corradovr6, You'll be able to restore your old pads back to full functionality. Just remove them from the caliper & rub the lining with emery cloth. Brake dust & corrosion will have impregnated itself into the pad lining. :wink:

Without driving your car, it's difficult to say. "Dirty" pads will make the brakes much less effective & consequently you'll need to apply more pressure to the pedal to make them work.

Drilled discs are for looks only - I've tried both drilled & standard. There's no difference to the efficiency of the brakes at all.

Grooved discs are very good though - they keep the pads clean & stop anything impregnating into the pad lining.