Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

Alternator gone as well

ok I have a G60 with a 90 amp alternator and its fried found out this is whats causing all of my problems, no power etc. anyway what alternator will work for this car? will one from a golf 8v work? or a jetta 8v or a passat 16v, could I technically use one from a VR6 and have it produce 120 amps instead of 90? there is a passat GLX at the local scrappy and I was thinking about taking its alternator please reply quickly the thing is fried beyond belief. I literally have nooooo power. thanks guys

ALSO if there is no car that this will work for where is the cheapest I can get one? I looked on E-bay, nothing. cheapest I found was 192 US core included.

the G60 alternator is ONLY for the G60 (from the VAG range at least) due to it's mounting... I've heard that there's another car which the alternator will fit from, but I'm not sure what it is... I think it was a Peugeot or similar... :|

Can I take the alternator from another car apart and take the generator and bearings? or do I have to buy a full alternator, the only part on the alternator that has to do with the mounting is the case, once you remoce the case you can just replace the actual alternator, right? or am I talking OMA

You could take another CHEAPER one apart and fit the internals and bearings to your case. Problem is which one has the same fittings, output etc?

I have one that looks similar back end wise and its from a peugeot BUT I have yet to try it out.

also is it true that if my alternator blew that my car would idle really low, have really low HP, the little red battery light would be on 24/7, the car wouldnt rev really, and make a clankety clank noise in the general vicinity of? I just want to make sure because I took the alternator and removed the + cable and turned the car on, idles really low, reconnected the cable and it idles at the same point. 500 rpms? sound about right?