Sign in to follow this  
jboyslick

VR6 FUEL CONSUMPTION???

Having just collected my vr6 last week :lol: I have immediately noticed that my fuel consumption is quite a bit lower that that of my mate who owns a vr6 :( . 22-25mpg compared to 26-27-28mpg, even when he gives it a real go. If i drive around at 1-2000 revs i get a healthy return of 25mpg!!! Does anybody know whats going on and is this a regular occurance with the vr6?? Please help :lol:I used to own a gti-6 and alfa romeo spider, both had problems with the lambda sensor, could that be the problem?? :?

I'm lucky to get 22mpg around town, in traffic :|

Can get 30mpg on a steady run on a motorway at about 70-80mph

Mosty I've ever seen was 35mpg the day I picked the car up (well i was driving like a granny :lol: )

Sounds exactly like the lambda sensor... my friends C got the same MPG as yours, when his lambda went. Good luck sorting it out.

i used get about 36-37 out of my one on a long steady run, but abusae it and it will drink it!

get the lamda checked, they are supposed to be changed quite regularly

First things first. Are you basing your fuel consumption concerns on the MFA readings or on a brim-to-brim measurement of miles covered ?

Really pussy-footing around, you should get 30-ish, perhaps more on consistent 5th gear, low revs roads. My daily 20 mile each way commute between outer London and Herts gives about 26mpg with stop-start traffic and some dual carriageway.

Before you go looking for problems, check your real mpg over several tanks full (if you haven't already).

A faulty O2 (lambda) sensor, or its wiring, will mess up your fuel consumption, but will almost certainly give rough running and a very lumpy/unsustainable idle, and sooty plugs, to go with it. A quick VAG-COM or VAG 1551 scan will give a fault reading.

It may also be the Mass Air Flow meter playing up; if the idle gets very significantly worse when you disconnect the MAF, it is probably OK. The MAF is between the air filter box and the throttle body and has a multi-connector on it.

Best wishes

RB

average over the last 600 miles is just under 24mpg, that is without a long run though, average speed is probably around 30mph through winding country lanes with no real straights or flat roads

What is the long-term mpg recorded on memory 2 of the MFA? Unless it has been zeroed or the battery has been disconnected, it will do an integration of the last several thousand miles.

24 mpg averaged over 600miles in the conditions you describe, (probably in 3rd/4th gears, accelerating and braking), doesn't sound too bad to me.

Best wishes

RB

Saw my MPG's go above 27mpg today for the first time in ages, suppose all the parts that I have swapped over have made a difference after all.

This outstanded me to.. but before getting my cam sensor changed I used to get between 22 and 29mpg whatever,

I can now manage 42mpg at a steady 50 mph on the A3, and 36mpg at a steady 70 on the A3......

Please note if use the loud pedal or engage in any spirited overtaking this rapidly plummets......

I would say my average is round 28 now (without canning it)

I was in Kevhaywire's car the other day and he reset the MFA at 95mph and it started at 25mpg and climbed up to 28 while keeping constant speed, quite impressive!

Interesting, I get just over 400 kms from a full tank on a 1994 Canadian spec VR6 Corrado. This comes out to about 20mpg or so and I can't seem to improve this mileage. I have been over everything on the car & have replaced most common problem parts and still no improvement. I never use the MFA because it isn't that accurate. I never really thought about the mileage until some other Corrado owners pointed it out. I drive my car mostly in the city and I do drive it hard.

Tune-up items, O2 sensor, vacuum lines, blue ECU temp sensor, MAF, and leaking injectors are a few items that will easily cause the mileage to drop. Also, if the cam position sensor stops working the ECU will have no reference for TDC on cylinder 1 so it will also stop using sequential injection and it will also retard the knock sensing capabilities. My car runs perfectly all of the time and has no issues so I'm not really sure what to check on mine now. I was going to take it to the dealer and have it scoped to see if they could see anything I can't check at home. I have scnned it with my VAG-COM and there is no codes and all of the information in the data blocks looks right on the mark.

Cheers, Dennis

Interesting, I get just over 400 kms from a full tank on a 1994 Canadian spec VR6 Corrado. This comes out to about 20mpg or so and I can't seem to improve this mileage. I have been over everything on the car & have replaced most common problem parts and still no improvement. I never use the MFA because it isn't that accurate. I never really thought about the mileage until some other Corrado owners pointed it out. I drive my car mostly in the city and I do drive it hard.

Tune-up items, O2 sensor, vacuum lines, blue ECU temp sensor, MAF, and leaking injectors are a few items that will easily cause the mileage to drop. Also, if the cam position sensor stops working the ECU will have no reference for TDC on cylinder 1 so it will also stop using sequential injection and it will also retard the knock sensing capabilities. My car runs perfectly all of the time and has no issues so I'm not really sure what to check on mine now. I was going to take it to the dealer and have it scoped to see if they could see anything I can't check at home. I have scnned it with my VAG-COM and there is no codes and all of the information in the data blocks looks right on the mark.

Cheers, Dennis

i take it you use the american gallon................imperial gallons are bigger! :wink: .........

Geez you guys get great mileage. I am lucky to see 13 in the city and 20 highway. Then again I do have a "slightly " worked motor. I have my own shop and work on more than my share of VR's and from what I have noticed stock VR's seem to average around 25...as soon as cams and other mods are added mileage does seem to decrease at a rapid rate.