Sign in to follow this  
Rob_B

electrical issues

when i give the engine some welly, the battery light will start to glow and the needles will skip about. started to get worse and worse. just replaced the battery. any ideas on this? the idle is also a little iratic

its a 91 G60

Have you changed the brushes on the alternator, only a few wuid to do, will cause the battery to charge badly too.

any motor factor, GSF, even the dealers, its a white block that screw onto the alternator, should be around £10

i guess its cheaper than replacing the alternator!! will give it a go i think.

cheers G60JET, i knew someone would lead me in the right direction!

do you keep the voltage regulators in stock then steve?

is this to do with the alternator?

is this to do with the alternator?

Yeah, it's part of the alternator - the voltage has to be regulated as the load on the alternator is not constant and neither is its output, which is directly proportional to the speed of the engine. The rectification is to convert the generated AC into DC.

A defective regulator/rectifier will cause the exact symptoms you're experiencing, as stevemac said. A higher voltage across the resistive temperature and fuel instruments allow more current to flow in the heater coils of the gauges, making the readings unstable.

If the problem isn't fixed there's also the possibility of the battery exploding as you're boiling the diluted acid inside. This is, obviously, a worst case scenario.

right o then!! shall be sorting this 2nite if i can! where abouts is the regulator with regards to the alternator? i would presume that it is attached to the alternator? would you recommend getting some new brushes aswell? i would imagine thi wouldnt hurt if i did

Its the bit on the side of the alternator with BOSCH written on it and 2 screws, I'll stick a pic up later if your still having probs locating it...

good ol boys! i think i may have sorted it with a new voltage regulator. the clocks sometimes bounce around tho. i would say it happens with bumps so im guessing that there is a dodgy connection somewhere? it affects both the rev counter and the speedo so is there a common wire for bothy or am i needing to look somewhere else?