Sign in to follow this  
h100vw

Clutch fit how to.

I had trouble finding this thread again because I was looking in the Drivetrain section!

That guy is guite funny. I had a lot more trouble than that changing the clutch in both my 8v Golf and 16v Corrado. It was simply not possible to get the gearbox across far enough and off the engine output shaft without removing the offside driveshaft flange from the gearbox.

Despite the increase in speed of the movie that all seems mighty fast. He did well to get the gearbox back up on his own as well I thought. I can remember a friend of mine testing a front hub repair on his Golf after the siezed wheel bearing wore it down. He welded it up and turned it down on a lathe then tested it it in a similar fashion to that guy and his clutch....."I've never been one for good ideas".

Quality entertainment!

You can and I have pulled plenty of boxes and have never had to remove the flange. You need to rotate the back of the box up before pulling it off the engine, it then clears the back of the block.

To fit it you hook the flange over the block and then rotate the diff back down. It works with both rod and cable boxes.

There is also a notch in the egde of the flywheel that is supposed to help with the job too.

I have done clutches on my own but I usually pick the box up from above at least if it falls you aren't under it......

Gavin

I swear I tried everything - from what I can remember, the problem was that the flange fouled a thin metal plate between the engine and gearbox rather than the block itself. Is that the part you're talking about rotating the 'box around? I hate changing clutches and am certainly not planning on doing it again soon.

Hmmm...possibly. There's an inspection plate on the bottom of the bell housing but it's not the same thing. I really should pay more attention when I start these jobs.

yup, also done clutches on Corrados and Golf MKIIs on my own... Never had to remove the flanges before either... :| Always had to pop the passenger side ball joint to move the driveshaft out of the way though... :roll: