Sign in to follow this  
4stud

Exhaust manifold

Just had this years service and it aint been the best day of my life. Crankshaft main bearing seal could be shot but have got that under control. Anyway i have a crack in my exhaust manifold and i hear this is a mare of a job. Anyone ever done it? Dont know if i should have a go or not.

What about head gaskets? Anyone know if these are a biatch to change? Think i may need one of them soon. I've only ever worked on basic engines and not engines with cables everywhere.

Its a 2l 16v

Cheers chaps....

you can use the golf mk2 manual , if you need to do the headgasket that eases the manifold job

basicly the only tricky bit will be undoing the manifold to downpipe join, lots of penetrating oil will help there, then once you have the head off you can tackle the manifold once its on a workbench

before you start id suggest you buy some spare manifold studs and new nuts

the actual headgaset job isnt too hard, you can leave the cams in...an average diy er shold breeze it over a weekend, or wait for easter long weekend :)

Its the golf mk3 2l 16v motor so you mean the manual for that yeah? Even a hungover weekend?

The MK3 16V motor is an ABF which has digifant management. The Corrado and Passat have the 9A which is more a big bore KR. For the engine work the MK2 manual is the one to get. The Passat manuals don't have anything useful really.

Gavin