Sign in to follow this  
g-dub

should it be remapped

had my stage 2 head and piper 285 cam fitted to my G60, all is well and running fine, but someone asked me did i re-map it, i said not just set it up, does it need to be re-mapped, will my car get damaged as it is or can i wait the month till i gets more work done (charger and pulleys)

Have you got an Air/Fuel ratio meter fitted? They can tell if you are running lean when on boost.

C&R maintain they got 200+hp out of a G60 with a head n cam and unchipped ECU.

Chances are it'll be fine. Remapping gets the maximum out a particular setup. If you are after every bit of power it'd be essential , with additional work planned I'd hang on til the end of the month and not hoof it everywhere.

Get an A/F gauge anyway.

http://www.duostyling.com

Gavin

What you want to do is avoid having a lean running condition which wil cause more combustion heat which can lead to detonation and even melting pistons. As you improve the flow & tuning you want to make sure the mixture is rich enough to support the upgrades. Most G60's need a chip & larger flow injectors once the pulley has been upgraded to avoid this. An air / fuel meter is a very good idea on any forced induction motor especially if you have higher power in the car. Because of the upgrades you seem to have right now I don't think it will be an issue but once you upgrade pulleys and such you will have to think about it.

Cheers, Dennis

Depends how the Air/Fuel ratio is decided by the engine. If it has a mass flow sensor it should in theory not need a re-map as the fuel delivered is dependant on the amount of air entering. If its a map based system then it will need a remap as the amount of air flowing for a given boost (determined by the charger) will increase with headwork and cams. When you upgrade the charger you'll run more boost and it will definately need a re-map.

cheers boys, i do have an A/F guage and it was reading between lean and stoich, but when i filled up i had to get bloody 95ron, boooo so put addative with it now its stoich to low rich, idle has been sorted now as i was a little low, the problem i now have it if i give the car some rev's (i.e floor it 1st to 2nd, i'm hearing strange bangs sound like from the exhaust and sometimes evens bang like gunshots scared some people in the high street, now while it's funny and cool i know this is not good WHATS HAPPENING, as i though bangs were unburnt fuel which leads to it overfulling not under. p.s did it also before i added to additive, please help as am planning to go santa pod tomorrow or should i cancel??