Sign in to follow this  
andy.b

front end noise

hello people, i have got an enoying problem with my car:-

when i am slowing down or rolling to a stop "from about 10mph - 0mph" you can hear a winding/grinding/rubbing noise on the front end. You can hear the noise for one second then for one second it stops, then it starts again etc.

its abit hard to explain this one, i have had all new ball joints, wheel bearings, track rod ends and sub-frame.

what can it be?

can you feel anything odd through the brake pedal when it's making the noise?

i will go out tonight mate and drive my car round and see if there is anything odd with my pedal. thanks

be carefull! It could be something as simple (but equally rather dangerous) as your pads having worn down to the point that the metal rather than the friction material is touching the disk! :|

alright mate i have had new pads and disks, but on the passenger side front "the clip to hold my pads in place is loose" and i am going to sort it tomorrow. i will post you tomorrow and see if it has made a differance. thanks

I've got the same problem at the moment I think, sounds kinda like a light sabre getting swung, my VW mechanic mate reckons the brake pads aren't going all the way back.

I've got the same problem aswell, from the front nearside. Mine sounds like a pulsating rub. When you slow down its in time with the wheel. But only happens sometimes. And sometimes when i pull off there is a knock like somthing is releasing.

Just changed my brake pads (pagid fast road) done less that 50miles on them?

Can;t really feel anything throught the brake pedal.

Mines making a loud grinding noise only occassionally from the front right wheel. Appears to be unrelated to the brakes, applying them doesn't change the noise and they feel normal. Jacked the car up and the brake guard plate doesn't seem to be the cause, pads have meat left on them and the wheel itself doesn't seem to have any excess play. Now hasn't made that noise for a couple of weeks, no idea what it is but scary when it happens.

i have had all my brakes, pads and discs checked out and even sorted that clip to hold your pads in place and the noise is still there. any other sugestions?

Mine developed this kinda noise last night, its only for a second and its at low speeds. Thought it could be something to do with the brakes... Did anyone come to a conclusion about what is causing this?

To say its a bit worrying is an understatement!!

its a long shot but check the balance weight thingy :-) on the driveshaft hasnt worked loose and is rubbing as the engine moves under de celleration