Sign in to follow this  
JBOB

Oil cooler leak

1.8 16v

Ive had an oil leak for the last week, im loosing oil like there’s no tomorrow !!!!!

I couldn’t find the leak anywhere until this morning when i had the bonnet open and the engine on, everytime id rev the engine there’s a massive shot of oil coming from the top of the oil cooler.

The oil is coming out of the white plug that the electrics attach to.

Has anybody come across this b4 and how can i fix it.

Ive taken a pic but its not to good sorry :lol:

There are a few sensors on the top of the oil filter flange, one is the temp sender for the MFA and the other is an oil pressure switch. You can do a few things here, if the oil is leaking from the body of the oil pressure switch then you will have to replace it which is very easy and they are cheap. You can also check and see if it is leaking from the threads of the switch, if this is the same then you can seal it with teflon tape. When you install the new switch if it needs it them make sure to use teflon tape on the threads, it will stop oil leaking past.

Cheers, Dennis

Thanks guys, Ive had a better look now and its the sensor at the front which i think is the MFA one.......It looks like the sensor has a crack because the oil is spurting under revs (only when engine is hot) from the metal spade connector right on the top, so its not the thread.

Anyone have any idea as to where i might get a sensor on a Sunday !!!!!!!

Im gonna sound really stupid now Steve but what do i ask for at Halfords LOL also i know your from round here mate so can you advise which Halfords to go to as i dont think my local Halfords (Huddersfield) would have it in stock, i might be wrong it takes 20min to find a member of staff in there let alone get a part.........

Thats your oil pressure switch, the colour denotes the pressure range (it does say in tiny writing on the switch) IIRC 1.8-2.0 BAR for the white one

there are two types: normally open and normally closed

you have to be careful that you get the right one, by using a multi meter on it to see or else you`ll get the buzzer and light as soon as you go over 2000RPM

for fitting, unclip the lead and use 19mm spanner i think

Got one........I took the broken one off this morning and went to Zaks autos (half the price of Halfords and next to each other) Zak knew what it was before i had said anything. £2.50 just wish everything was that easy and cheap......thanks guys.