Sign in to follow this  
Neverite

blue temp thingy again!..

been having a slight prob from cold recently, idle is very low and takes ages to warm up.

not knowing what it was, unplugged blue temp thingy and it made no difference.. so do i have to get this from vw?..how much will it be?

cheers for any help, Andy.

ECP and GSF also sell these for about 70% of what VW sell 'em for...

It's worth changing both black and blue senders at the same time (at least that way you know your temp gauge isn't lying to you! :lol: ) and the grand total is about £30 including the 2 O-ring seals you'll need... 8)

you looking at even less than that. I reckon you'll have chage of £15 if your collecting them yourself from GSF. I replaced mine last week

If your talking about the blue (cold start) connector on the side of the inlet manifold on a 1800 valver, then this is not necessarily mean the injector is bust. It's controlled by the thermotime switch on the side of your cylinder head which has a brown connector plug, it may be this is bust and not allowing current to flow to the cold start when turning from cold.

I checked mine last year by bypassing current to it, and seeing if it squirted, I then checked the thermotime by simply loosening the injector from the manifold to see if it suirted for the 8 secs from cold!!

Would definitely go to GSF or other as above tho

sorry, but if you are talking about the blue connector which is fixed to a small cylinder on the side of the inlet manifold?? then all i'm saying is to check it works - disconnect it, and it should squirt fuel for about 8 seconds when you start engine from COLD!

if it doesn't work, then the fault could either be the injector (blue thingy) or the thermotime (brown thingy on side of block) which controls blue thingy!

If your talking about some other blue thingy then ignore me!!

eep! just noticed what engine you've got Neverite, :oops:

aide's right, the blue connector you're on about ISN'T the same as the blue temp sensor on the G60s/VR6...

Is it the one in the pic below you're on about?

aha... yes, aide.... you've just learnt how to speak to me lmfao, i understand now, ta.

yes henny... think thats it, what engine did you think i had?

for some reason I thought you had a G60... And, yes, I know it even says it in your sig what engine you have, it's just been one of those days today... :roll: :oops: :lol:

lmao... and not long ago you were helping me note the ways i could charge my valver lol... but yes, it certainly is one of those days.

hmmm... wish i did have a g60 now though.

I loose track of who's who on here recently... :oops: Though with a personal post count approaching 9,000, and a total number of over 173,000 posts on the forum (all of which I've read! :crazyeyes: ) that's hardly suprising! :lol:

Anyway, if your car is taking ages to warm up, it could be the warm up regulator as aide says... When it's up to temp, what does the water temp read on the gauge? Does it take AGES for the temp to get over 80 (water temp) and cool down really quickly after being stuck in traffic once you're moving again? If it does, then you may be looking at a stuck thermostat... :|

yep, ages to get over 80, minutes to cool again... i have to sit in the car for about 15 mins in the morning now waiting for it to wake up... then if i park up for a while its back to square one :(

sounds like a thermostat problem then... I'd lay odds that both top and bottom hoses are pretty much the same temp as the car warms up instead of one being warm and one cold until over 80 degrees... ;)

off topic but, i'm modding a manifold and throttle body at home and was wondering what colour to paint it .. After seeing that pic it's going to be black, looks really well cheers henny!!

Paint it black, then polish the flat panel which says VW DOHC 16V and then paint the letters a contrasting colour (like the same colour as your car) Looks excellent, is cheap to do and really cleans up the engine bay...

Also, while it's off, do the rocker cover too... Again, paint in the contrasting colour and then polish the tops of the ridges... 8)

Did this on my MKI 16V (blue hi-lights) and my first Corrado (Tornado red) and it looked excellent... 8)

get yourself a MKII golf Haynes manual, a Thermostat and housing (+ o-ring!) and 2 bottles of G12+ and replace the thermostat...

It's a little fiddly to get the hose clamps off (replace 'em with Jubilee clips afterwards!) but if you know how to use a ratchet and some spanners, you should be able to do this yourself... 8)

despite knowing little more than nothing about engines, im normally pretty good at fumbling my way through these things lol, so yes, will do henny. and thanks again. :D