Sign in to follow this  
simmyboy

Stereo and speaker upgrade

I hope you guys could give me some good advice on upgrading my sound system in my '93 Corrado. Only had the car a couple of weeks and couldnt live with std sony system. The sound was all distorted and most of the speakers are knackered.

I have started with the head unit and replaced it with an Alpine CDA-9847R which has improved things alot however I want to upgrade the the speakers. The tweeters in the dash are about the only good working order speakers in the car. As stop gap till I can afford an amp and some components I was thinking of replacing the door and rear speakers with replacement coaxial speakers with alpine's from the SPS range. It seems a cheap fix for now as the speakers are about £100 for the four. Or am I just wasting my money?

Does any one know if the 6x4's from alpine will fit in there as it looks well tight in there.

I do want to keep the factory look but I am open to suggestions.

What sort of power does the alpine kick out? 4 x 60 Watt? If so and you want the stock look most people go for a component set in the front and replace the door speakers and tweeters. Don't bother too much about the rears but you could invest in a basslink later.

I've got an alpine and replaced my fronts with a set of boston fs50. The biggest change was when I put in the infinity basslink though.

Check out these 3 web sites for cheap gear.

http://www.caraudiodirect.com

http://caraudiosecurity.com

http://www.cel-direct.com

and this is about te cheapest place for a bass link

http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/pro ... ts_id+1538

I would give the back speakers a miss,

If u change ur speakers now and then upgrade them later,

it's a BIG waste of money,

Get ur self some good components in the first place and

sound proof the doors to improve the sound.

If u want a sound sytems, invest in a set of pods from

Audioscape. They look factory fitted

Thanks for the tip about the Basslink Tattie. It looks like a real bargain at that price.

Does yours give as good a sound as a sub in a box?

simmyboy,

I reckon the bass link is as good as a middle of the range sub and amp but I'm no sound off king. It gives plenty enough bass for what I want and can go quite 'deep'.

There are several people on here who've got them and all seem very happy with them.

As for running components without an amp its ok but if you get some that can take a bit of oomph then if you put an amp in you don't have to replace the speakers again.

Just remember although watts it is a power measurement in amplifier terms for our purpose it really means sound quality. The higher the output of the amp the better the sound will be at all volumes and especially when loud.

4 x 45 watt output should drive most speakers without too much hassle as long as you don't try to have it F loud

tattie

Have been looking into the components I could just about afford the boston fs50's but was also considering the Alpine spr136a's which are considerably cheaper. Is it a case of you get what you pay for?

If you fitted your speakers yourself did you have any problems fitting them or did they fit into the existing positions without any bother?

Personally speaking if I were you I'd go down to the nearest decent ICE place and have a chat with a knowledgable assistant. If possible actually listen to the speakers

It's not always a case of you get what you pay for, it's just that certain speakers are better for playing different types of music. Some are better for rock etc.

As for fitting locations, you don't use the original cables due to the crossovers. The door speakers are a direct swap, the crossovers will probably have to be fitted behind the plastic kick panels in the footwells. The tweeters could be fitted in the original locations in the dash but you would have to trash the old ones - cut the centres out with dremel/drill - to fit the new ones in.