Sign in to follow this  
bighands

Scary brakes!

Past week, fairly scary prob arising on it!

When foot brake is applied, the pedel travels down, thee is a little resistance there and small amount of brakes being applied, but its only near the end of the brake travel it starts to really start working, and sometimes the pedal workd as nothing is wrong with it! another intermitint problem!

In the recent cold weather the hand brake seized- with ice - and i couldnt be arsed with it so i drove it till it got hot enough 2 unseize! could i of boiled the fluid and got air or could it be master cylinder?

Cheers in advance!

You've probably melted the rear pads and discs but the travel on the pedal sounds like a fault servo or master cyl - also check vacuum pipes!

you have air in your brake fluid from boiling the brakes...

Get them bled as soon as possible.

but the problem didnt arise for a week or so after the handbrake froze? wouldnt the air of been ther straight after they had boiled up?

also anyone got any good tips for this?!?!

its inside the water pipes, from when the head gasket went, not a pretty sight, and its bloked everyrhing right up manly the raditor, running hot ect, have no idea how to get rid of it all :(

Surely there must be a product available?

but the problem didnt arise for a week or so after the handbrake froze? wouldnt the air of been ther straight after they had boiled up?

also anyone got any good tips for this?!?!

its inside the water pipes, from when the head gasket went, not a pretty sight, and its bloked everyrhing right up manly the raditor, running hot ect, have no idea how to get rid of it all :(

Surely there must be a product available?

I've helped my mate with a few cars (all Rover 200's!) the best way is to remove the hoses and flush the system out with a garden hose - that'll get most of it out. Be carefull with mains water pessure though - ours is wicked!

As for the brakes you really need to replace the fluid with fresh stuff -chances are it will need replacing anyway. Don't cut corners with your brakes!!

DO NOT PUT WASHING UP LIQUID IN YOUR COOLANT SYSTEM!!!!

This will almost certainly destroy things as the pressure causes the liquid to foam up! :roll:

Best way is to flush it all out with a hose as skimask, says.... 8)

Thank god im a lazy git. . . . nearly did it and drove home from mates but just had visions of something not being right doing it!!

its so sticky and caked on, i really dont think a hose will flush it out :( need a chemical to sort of strip it and brake it down?!?

DO NOT PUT WASHING UP LIQUID IN YOUR COOLANT SYSTEM!!!!

This will almost certainly destroy things as the pressure causes the liquid to foam up! :roll:

Best way is to flush it all out with a hose as skimask, says.... 8)

:oops: sorry

thats what i did to mine and it was ok!!! phew

Thank god im a lazy git. . . . nearly did it and drove home from mates but just had visions of something not being right doing it!!

its so sticky and caked on, i really dont think a hose will flush it out :( need a chemical to sort of strip it and brake it down?!?

Bighands, A hose will get it out, just make sure your not flushing it onto your driveway its messy gooey stuff. You'll have to let it run for 10 mins on each pipe - big globules of it will pour out. You'll also have to wash out your engine bay as well. You can put washing up liquid in when flushing it - as long as you flush out afterwards. We also tried washing machine powder -it doesn't foam much, bit I'm not keen on it as I think it affects alloy. Whatever you do, don't run your car with either in the system!! Its by far one of the worst jobs I've done on a car, that and brake fluid I can do without!!