Sign in to follow this  
mannik

Coolant components break

Everything assoicated with the coolant system on my VR6 keeps leaking/breaking

First the hose(s), circulation pump, then the heat matrix/exchanger and now the thermostat housing...

Car sounds rough (bit like a diesel), uses a lot of oil and there was a lot of fouling according to VW on spark plug 1 (or 6?).

What is the cause of the cooling components breaking?

:-(

Hmmm, may just be age, I've now replaced all my hoses, clips, header tank, pump and all plastic flanges/sensors but still on original radiator and matrix....

In a pressurised system leaks will always occur at the weakest point and when that is fixed it will move to the next one... also note there is a pressure release valve in the expansion tank cap.

Is everything working as far as you know? - car heats up as it should, temp stabilises as stat opens, rad fan works on both speeds etc?

Maybe worth getting a pressure test done to see what state the head gasket is in, wear on VR's always occurs at each end of the engine, 1 and 6 first which must be due to heat (lack of cooling)

It's really the reason why the system is under so much pressure...is it due to a fault with the engine?

The car defintely lacks power now and does not feel like it has 190hp, but it starts OK, temp is 92-94 when warm going up to 105 if driven moderately hard, the fan I have not actually heard this recently after stopping the car so maybe this is a problem (however this comes in at 100C doesnt it?)

What I really do not want to do is keep replacing things until the weakest point becomes the heater matrix again!

Have you changed the header tank cap? You shouldn't be blowing stuff apart if this is relieving pressure correctly.

Your cooling issues sound a little like mine, although I appear to have the full complement of horses and I only get to 90 or so when driving - traffic is what causes temps of 100.

I'll be checking my thermostat at the weekend, and will report back.

--

Olly