Sign in to follow this  
martyjmcfly

HELP - Number plates nicked and alarm had been triggered!!!!

Glad you've got things sorted.. Just hope they stay that way for you :!:

Removable steering hubs are great if you have a momo or something simlar... otherwise a nicce chunky disklock would be nice.

They steal the plates as it saves them going to buy them and therefore no outlay

We have a police car up here now ( a X5 ) that reads the number plates when its behind a vehicle and can tell if its taxed or not,on a sorn,not insured directly and it just beeps so the cops pull it.

They dont use the PNC anymore this does it all for them.

Any chivilrous thief takes the plates off an aston then trys to dodge a congestion charge with a more normal car,I suppose those days are gone.

2p

What dammage did they do when they tried to start it?

Also what alarm have you got fitted?

No apparent damage so they must be good or i may have been a muppet and mis-understood the alarm diagnostic. I think they triggered the alarm with the loop intended to pull up the door pin.

The alarm is a Cobra 7928, the car is still here so it must be good!

Deadlocks? Does the C have them. If so does locking the car with the alarm (central locking) activate the deadlocks or do you have to use the good old keys?

I'm sure mine does and they are activated by the alarm remote or the key. I can hear them activate about 20 seconds after arming the alarm.

yup, corrados have a second lock setting. About 10 seconds after the main locks have activated you should hear the pump fire again as it activates the dead locks. Try using your key and see if it works then, if it does work on the key, but not on the alarm, take your car back to where the alarm was fitted and go and shout at them lots! :mad:

A disklok is a good idea, as is a removable steering wheel (hopefully getting a removeable one soon), but at the end of the day, if they want your car bad enough, they'll just pick it up and take it away on a truck.

The ONLY way to ensure your car remains yours in the long run is to fit a tracking device. The one on my car now texts me to let me know:

• if the alarm's been triggered[/*:m:9601d]
  • if the car's moved from where I told it to stay.[/*:m:9601d]
  • if I get a faster 0-60 time than I've previously managed :twisted: :lol:[/*:m:9601d]
  • where the car is when I ask it, including direction and speed[/*:m:9601d]
  • if a garage has moved the car outside of an area I set before leaving the car with them[/*:m:9601d]
  • and several other neat things too... 8) :twisted:[/*:m:9601d]

Oh, and it's now got the "kill" command programmed into it, so if anyone ever carjacks me or nicks my keys, I can simply phone the car, tell it the correct combination and the engine will imobilise (even if it's running!) leaving the car stranded wherever it is.... I can then phone the police and give them the exact location of the car... 8)

For £350 + fitting and a pay as you go sim card, I think it's well worth it! 8)

I have never noticed the 10 second deadlock pump activating noise since i have owner the car and that has been nearly three years!!!!

I will have a listen tomorrow. If it doesn't then can a standard VW garage or VW trained fitter (Chris Abbott in Blacknest) fix the problem or will they not know what to do, bugger something else up and charge me lots of wonger?

joebloggsVR69, http://www.trakm8.com is the tracker I've got on my car... I've modded it a little to change a couple of the functions slightly (does that really suprise you though! ;) :lol: ) and added a couple of circuits to it to do the engine kill function, but they're simple and are detailed in the instructions... 8)