Sign in to follow this  
evoblade

VR6 problems

Hi

I was trying to replace the oil cooler on my VR6 yesterday and in removing the hoses that run from the cooler to trhe engine block and plattic feed pipe, i managed to snap the tube clean off the little stub outlet that is an integral part of the large plastic tube that runs across the engine from the water pump to the thermostat housing.

Doues anyone know once the thermostat block housing is removed from the engine how the large plastic pipe is removed from the water pump?? :x

I have tried pulling fairly hard and she does not want to shift. I try pulling even harder.

When replacing the unit do you ned to access the water pump or xcan it be fitted in situ??

it is just a push fit, just give it a good old wiggle and a tug :wink: and it should come out fairly easily & should just be able to fit it in situ also.

You will need to really pull on the cross-over pipe to get it out, it is help in place by an o-ring but these bake into place after a few years. I found pulling while wiggling the cross-over pipe will get it out of there, make sure you don't pull too hard or you will end up on your butt when it it comes out. Once it is out make sure the o-ring is still on the end of the cross-over pipe and not in the block by the water pump or you will get coolant leaks. When you torque the termostat housing back on remember it is only torqued to 7 lb / ft, it is easy to over tighten this and it will cause leaks down the road.

Cheers, Dennis