Sign in to follow this  
Valver

Power steering fluid?

Guys

Which is the recommended PAS fluid for a '93 VR6 engine? I asked at G&S in Leics and they didn't seem to know - they had both red and green PAS fluids in stock tho? but i said I'd leave it til I was 100% certain. What are the differences?...

Cheers

i used a Green one that said VW/Audi approved on the bottle.

worth a note, Always use a new sealed container for PAS Fluid and Brake & Clutch Fluid

G&S in Leicester should have known - ALL VW's use green steering fluid.

The difference is that the red stuff will dissolve the seals in your steering rack - not good at all... :(

Sorry to drag up an old post....

This ermmmm PAS fluid. I seem to have amazing disapeering fluid...To be precise RED fluid :roll: Where will it be going? Sitting inside the rack bellow maybe.

IS that really bad? I did not pour said fluid. My car is off the Rd for major TLC at the mo. I have had her for 4 months and I seem to be now losing fluid at a rate of knots... Does it really kill the rack seals!

So this is a new rack then? SUPER more TLC. What will be the best way of flushing out the system. Should I flush prior to replacement. I assume so then green is running through the system...? Will the red damage the pump or pipes?

You need to change it really but no point if it's leaking that badly, check the steering rack boots to see if they are full of fluid...

Hi. Supercharged.

Thanks for the reply. My car is having a new clutch, belts hub bearings SC rebuild, Already has a new Heaterbox (that was fun) plus all the clocks r now working. All good fun. S roof next.

So do ya think the pump will be troubled? Or should I just replace it all. I'm going through a divorce at the mo so its spend spend. What I aint got her n he cant have...!

some cars have the green fluid (black cap on reservoir) others have ATF fluid (red cap) Gsf only list the green so did the dealer but when i insisted they double check they agreed with me that my 1990 16v should have ATF in it , if you look on the red cap it does say ATF

some cars have the green fluid (black cap on reservoir) others have ATF fluid (red cap) Gsf only list the green so did the dealer but when i insisted they double check they agreed with me that my 1990 16v should have ATF in it , if you look on the red cap it does say ATF

I have RED cap on the res. All it sez is 'Use Approved fluids only' So now to find where said fluid is disapeering to. Not on the drive buy the way!! Prob in the rack bellows!!!

I don't think the dealer has got it right there mate.

My old 1991 8v GTi, and my 1992 G60 both have RED caps, but the fluid used is G 002 000. My red cap says 'approved fluids' but doesn't state 'ATF'.

I've Just checked in my '92 G60 handbook, it clearly states G 002 000. It also covers the Vr6 models for that year, so the fluid must be the same for VR6 too.

Last time I went to G&S they didn't have the usual vag branded G 002 000 in a tin, they gave me a plastic bottle (Febi stuff possibly) just going out to the shed to check what colour it is!

Can anyone confirm which cars, if any, used ATF fluid??

I don't think the dealer has got it right there mate.

My old 1991 8v GTi, and my 1992 G60 both have RED caps, but the fluid used is G 002 000. My red cap says 'approved fluids' but doesn't state 'ATF'.

I've Just checked in my '92 G60 handbook, it clearly states G 002 000. It also covers the Vr6 models for that year, so the fluid must be the same for VR6 too.

Hmm just checked my handbook it also states said G 002 000 fluid. Is this always green?

ATF fluid has never been used in VW racks...

I'm so glad you said that, after 10 years of using the green LHM type stuff in my 1990 16v I was a bit puzzled by the talk of red caps and red fluid :?

That clears that up then! Dealers are clueless sometimes

I bet you dealer wouldn't even be able to tell you which Petrol to put in your car, let alone PS fluid. :lol:

We should try this one out on them :roll:

When I first got my G60 I asked a dealership which type of oil is specified for the car, (with it having a supercharger and all) and they said normal mineral 20/50 would be fine!!! yeah right....

ok does anyone know if pentosin 7.1 or 11S p/s fluid meets the G 002 000 spec? or should I just stop by VW and get some? I sell the pentosin at work, so i get a good discount but it doesnt list exactly what specs it covers on the can....

ok does anyone know if pentosin 7.1 or 11S p/s fluid meets the G 002 000 spec? or should I just stop by VW and get some? I sell the pentosin at work, so i get a good discount but it doesnt list exactly what specs it covers on the can....

All I know is the green fluid is the same stuff that's used in hydraulic suspension systems like the French Citroens, this is often labelled as 'LHM' fluid. - probably not much help to you in the States though.

ok checked a little more into it, both pentosin 7.1 and 11S are green fluid, according to the last info i could find in the catalogues, 7.1 is non synthetic and is applicable to vw/audi's from 83-89, and the 11S is synthetic and is applicable in vw/audis from 90 and up.

ok checked a little more into it, both pentosin 7.1 and 11S are green fluid, according to the last info i could find in the catalogues, 7.1 is non synthetic and is applicable to vw/audi's from 83-89, and the 11S is synthetic and is applicable in vw/audis from 90 and up.

But VW only sell G 002 000 which supercedes anything else...

i just phoned up my dealer pressed 3 for parts and the said hello how can i help i said i have a 1990 corrado g60 can i have some pas fluid whats that he replied i said power assisted steering fluid he says oh yes!! just amazes me as if they've never been around a car in the entire life!