Sign in to follow this  
kasman21

radiator options urgent help needed!!

my radiator has decided to die and im wondering is it time to change, the engine is a 1.8 16v but im thinking of getting a bigger radiator.

is the vr6 one bigger??will it fit with no modifying??!!!

please let me know by 4pm as i need to order one today for next day delivery.

cheers

zak

my radiator has decided to die and im wondering is it time to change, the engine is a 1.8 16v but im thinking of getting a bigger radiator.

is the vr6 one bigger??will it fit with no modifying??!!!

please let me know by 4pm as i need to order one today for next day delivery.

cheerszak

A rad for a 16v with air con will go in, and you need the top and bottom hose to suit (could be expensive), however I can't see why you need a bigger rad on a 1.8 16v, the 2.0 16v does perfectly well with the same one, just don't buy a 50 quid one from German, Swedish and French, it's a 1.6/1.8 carb golf one and although physically the same size has fewer cross tubes and doesn't cool as well. A new genuine 16v rad is about 120 quid I think :( if you're quoted much less it may not be a proper 16v one.

If you've had overheating problems on a 1.8 then something else is wrong, thermostat, expansion tank cap etc...

David.

so what about a vr6 radiator??im always keen to improve things you see. will that fit in??

thanks

zak

All Corrado front panels can have longer rads fitted, you can see by the mounting holes pressed into the front panels, I believe the 16v/G60 air con rad is 675mm, the Vr6 one is only 630mm, the problem is getting hoses to fit the vr6 one to a 4 cylinder engine even if it will fit in the 16v front panel locating holes (you may need a vr6 front panel).

But as I said, I can't see you are going to get any improvement anyway, all you'll do is add more weight to the front of your car.

David.

All Corrado front panels can have longer rads fitted, you can see by the mounting holes pressed into the front panels

That's not entirely true, David... If you want to fit a VR6 radiator to a non-VR6 car, you need to drill some holes in the slam panel and insert a captive nut into the slam panel to get it to fit. PhatVR6 had loads of problems fitting his VR6 rad to his 2.0 8V.... :|

You're spot on about there being bugger all point in sticking a bigger rad on a valver though... The 16V radiator is multilayered and is one of the most efficient in the VAG range! Get hold of another one the same, kasman21 8)

be careful of cheap "pattern" parts, they're not multi-layer and aren't as good as the original one!

Price it up at both ECP/GSF and then VAG and GPC... If there's not too much in it, go for the genuine one from VAG or GPC... ;)