Sign in to follow this  
slimtim

Wishbones

I've decided it's time to replace my wishbone bushes and front shocks. Rather than mess around cutting the bushes out, I've got two new wishbones with them already in. I thought I'd also get new bolts too.

The problem is akthough the bolt through the front wishbone bush fits nice and purdy, the rear bolt does not.

Looking at ETKA there seems to be an additional sleeve (number eight) inside the rear bush. However, there isn't a part number for this. I can transfer the sleeve (if it exists) from the old wishbone but the likelihood is that it'll be rusted solid.

Does anyone think this all looks familiar? Have I got the correct bolt?

I've decided it's time to replace my wishbone bushes and front shocks. Rather than mess around cutting the bushes out, I've got two new wishbones with them already in. I thought I'd also get new bolts too.

The problem is akthough the bolt through the front wishbone bush fits nice and purdy, the rear bolt does not.

Looking at ETKA there seems to be an additional sleeve (number eight) inside the rear bush. However, there isn't a part number for this. I can transfer the sleeve (if it exists) from the old wishbone but the likelihood is that it'll be rusted solid.

Does anyone think this all looks familiar? Have I got the correct bolt?

check the mk 2 golf wishbone on ETKA, the sleeve is listed as 191 407 190 A, looks like it might do the job? think they're less than a quid each from VAG. Can't remember, think I re-used the sleeve on mine the other month when I did my wishbones (16v)

David.

Hmm, a short trip to VW and I have a pair.

I'm now faced with this though - the sleeve doesn't sit flush as it's longer than the bush and the bolt is still loose in the bush?!

that doesn't look like the right sleeve to me. I thought they were thicker than that

whats the correct way of doing this? Are new sleeves needed for every wishbone bush or do some not need them?

Why the feck don't they come with them if you need them!!!!?

I think the answer is Corrado subframes don't need the sleeve, when I finally got round to doing mine they had horse-shoe shaped locators in the subframe (1990 16v) and so the sleeve (mk2 style) wasn't needed. I believe the VR6 (plus axle) subframe also has those locators.

Mine's certainly run OK without them.

I think the answer is Corrado subframes don't need the sleeve, when I finally got round to doing mine they had horse-shoe shaped locators in the subframe (1990 16v) and so the sleeve (mk2 style) wasn't needed. I believe the VR6 (plus axle) subframe also has those locators.

Mine's certainly run OK without them.

Ah OK cheers. I bought soem wishbones cheaper than my mechanic could get them and gave them to him to fit. Everything seems OK but he never menetioned anything about a sleeve or any issues witht he bolt fitment. He should have noticed when setting the tracking if there was play, but he has been wrong before. Looks like we are ok :)