Sign in to follow this  
Tattie

Any hints and tips for fitting a Golf G60 intercooler?

Hi folks,

I've just got hold of all the parts from a G60 golf (not sure which model though)

Intercooler part number is 191 145 805H

radiator part number 191 121 253AL

A couple of questions can I use this rad to replace the original one? Or is it too much hassle? At present the intercooler is still bolted to it.

I seem to be missing a long screw that bolts the U bend to the charger. Is it a standard size or can you use the one that holds the charger silencer box on? - if it has one (haven't looked too closely yet).

Henny mentioned I might have to cut of some metal work/vanes off the front of the charger and bend down one of the slam panel bolts (near the battery).

Lastly, do you have to take off the bumper or does it just make it a damn site easier.

I'm going to trawl the archives now to see if I can get any more gen!

if i remeber what G-Werks did to mine you should not alter the slam panel or body at all, think he cut a vein or two off the intercooler and used a slim line fan with my existing rad.......send him an email........

Try the silencer box one, if it's no good get it from VW. Or check ETKA. Bolts are listed with the dimensions, like M6 X 70 or something.

Gavin

Right, I'm pretty sure that radiator will be slightly taller than your existing radiator. Best bet is to measure it and see. If it's the same, use the one you got with the intercooler as the bottom drivers side mount will be in the correct place (unlike the Corrados one... :roll: )

If you place the intercooler in front of the car so it's sat facing the way it will be in the car (with the rad behind it! ;) ), on the right of it at the front near the top, you'll see a big "fin" that sticks up at the top and out at the front. This needs to be removed to get it to fit under the slam panel.

On the car, if you look down the side of the battery tray, next to the radiator, there's a 10mm headed bolt which is used as part of the fixing for the front panel. Take this bolt out and flatten the lug down against the chassis leg. You need to do this else it'll foul against the intercooler.

Those should be the only modifications you need to make.

Did this kit come with the small support bar? It looks like it does in the pic, but just to make sure, If you look at your existing charger setup, there's a black bar which bolts between the charger and the block to support the charger. On this setup, there should be a shorter bar which will attach to the U-bend instead of just the charger, make sure you have this before you start else it won't fit together! ;)

The bolt that holds the Ubend on is MUCH longer than the one that holds the silencer box on. It uses the same thread size though, as it still attaches into the same place on the charger, it's just longer.

Did you get the gasket with this kit? Again, it's in that pic, but if not, there's a guy selling 2 on Dubforce at the moment for £15 each instead of the £32 they are from VAG ;)

Lastly, you can do this install without taking off the slam panel or bumper, but you will cut yourself, swear a lot and generally get annoyed with it... The first time you do this, I reccommend taking off the bumper and front panel so you can see how it all goes together.... this will also give you better access to remove the old intercooler as well... ;)

Good luck!

Thanks for that Henny,

With the 'kit' I got the fan plus brackets, fan shroud, gasket, all the pipe work and the support bar you mentioned.

Incidentally the radiator is about the same size as the intercooler, not smaller like I've seen on other photos.

Also I haven't got access to EKTA. I used to use the online one but it has disappeared.

I'll take a few photos of the stuff I've got and post it on here in a bit

Here are the bits I've got with pics. A couple of different angles on the rad and intercooler too

IMHO the only way to tell is to measure both radiators and see if it'll fit in height wise... Width shouldn't be a problem with mounting as the cross member the intercooler/radiator sits on is the same as the one in the golf. 8)

You may have to "modify" the fan shroud slightly though (with the aid of Mr."bloody big" Hammer to make some clearance for the charger, but I think it may well fit as long as it's not too tall for the Corrado's slam panel... 8)

Any chance someone could get me the part number and/or size of the screw/bolt that holds on the U bend?

I can measure the one on mine this weekend, but I won't have time until then... :|

same thread as the bolt wot held on the black plastic silencer box originally, I think it's an M8, but I couldn't swear to it... take it off, go to a local fasteners shop and get a 90mm long version of the one that's on your car at the moment... job done... 8)

I have been watching this topic as i got my G60 IC this week!

I am planning to go for the conversion next week.

I still don´t have the long bolt for the U-Bend, i believe it´s M8x90.

I don´t have that small bar for the U-Bend... Do i really need it? :wink:

How many hoses do i need?

So far i have the U-Bend and the next hose that connects to the IC.

I wonder how the IC output pipe connects to the COPot hose...

Do i need a new COPot hose aswell?

I´m a bit confused as you can see... :oops:

kongo127, you DO need the support bar, it's pretty important as it supports the Ubend and charger and stops it twisting under load... :| I suppose that you could cut the long one and have it welded back together to the correct length... :?

The bits you need are:

• Ubend gasket[/*:m:8ac60]
  • Ubend[/*:m:8ac60]
  • Ubend bolt (M8x90)[/*:m:8ac60]
  • Short support bar + bolts to suit[/*:m:8ac60]
  • Rubber 90degree pipe + clips to suit[/*:m:8ac60]
  • Intercooler[/*:m:8ac60]
  • Rubber angled pipe + clips to suit[/*:m:8ac60]
  • Plastic intercooler to throttle body pipe[/*:m:8ac60]

You should be able to re-use the rubber hose that connects onto the throttle body and the plastic pipe, although I used the one that came with my Golf intercooler 'cos it was in better shape than mine was! :lol:

Good luck!

kongo127, you DO need the support bar, it's pretty important as it supports the Ubend and charger and stops it twisting under load

The support bar is not to stop the charger twisting under load.

It is a tie bar to change (in this case increase) the natural frequency of the charger on its bracket to over approx 30% of the natural engine frequency (g60 is about 200hz)

Without this tie bar the natural frequency of the charger to mount bracket will decrease and could even come close to the engines natural frequency.

If this happens your charger will wobble and eventually fall off when the mount bracket fails.

On a more happy note these tie bars are easy to make if you dont want to buy one

ah, live and learn... interesting... 8)

I was right about it being important though! ;) :lol:

yes very important because a charger is a very big lump of expensive metal to fall off.

Saying that the tie bar was missing off my corrado when i bought it, probrably missed off when a new charger was fitted - its got one now though.

Just to add the small tie brackets on manifolds (inlet / exhaust etc 16v / g60 etc) do the same thing so dont miss them off if they should be there

*runs off to find the 2 that are not fitted to J-DUB's engine...* :oops: :lol:

What's the gen about using a slimline fan too? Do you recommend them? If so which ones? Sizes etc.

Is that a better option than using the original ones?

yes very important because a charger is a very big lump of expensive metal to fall off.

Saying that the tie bar was missing off my corrado when i bought it, probrably missed off when a new charger was fitted - its got one now though.

Just to add the small tie brackets on manifolds (inlet / exhaust etc 16v / g60 etc) do the same thing so dont miss them off if they should be there

Tie Bar? That´s a good one... :oops:

I don´t have any bar holding the charger. :wink:

Should i get one? :o

Henny: I´m confused about connecting the IC output pipe to the plastic hose that has the CO Pot in the Corrado. Can i get any arrangement with hoses? Or do i need to get the Golf ones?

The part no of the bolt is N 044 721 1 it's a M8-125mm long.There's a washer too which is N 901 791 02.