Sign in to follow this  
Tom_VR6

Which speaker wire & from where?

Im getting together bits and peaces for when i take my dash out (again), so far i have the brand new heater controls, heater cables, just ordered some Diamond S500s 5.25 components for the front and also might get some new gauges from dubdesign in US.

One other thing i wanted to do is get some very high quality speaker cable to run from the doors and the tweeters but i dont really know enough about cables to make a decision on this. I know I want it to be oxygen free and maybe gold plated (is it worth it?) but have no idea how big it should be (1.5mm,2mm,2.5mm etc.), what materials are best and where to get it from.

Any suggestions on this?

The idea is to build the system slowly so the components would run straight off the HU but eventually be running off an amp.

You're best off with some oxygen free copper audio cable with gold plated connectors...

Maplins do some good stuff for not too much cash... 8)

I've used some stuff I got from work (surplus to requirements ;) ) which is mega overkill but didn't cost me anything so I'm not argueing! ;) :lol:

Henny - that was so quck by the time i clicked "Click here to view your post" your response was there, madness!!! :shocked!:

That sounds sensible, what sort of size would i need? I think i heard somewhere if you go too big then you get power loss or something?

Also, where is the best most accessable place to hide the 2 crossover boxes? Im sure it will be obvious once im doing it but good suggestions would be much appriciated.

I've put some sticky backed velcro onto the crossovers on J-DUB and stuck 'em in the hole under the dash mounted tweeters, there's loads of room in there... 8)

Cable size? Mmmm, that's a matter of some debate... Are you amping them up, or running them off the head unit? There's no point in using bigger cable than the connector on the back of the head unit supplies, but if you're using amps, then I'd go for something around about 2.0mm or possibly 2.5mm depending on the kinda amps and speakers you're using...

For reference, I'm using some hi-power professional audio speaker cable which is 2.0mm and oxygen free copper with ALL gold connectors on everything (power, phono connectors, speaker connectors the lot!) just 'cos I got it cheap/free at work... 8)

i got my cable from audioscape as i was buying other stuff, i put the crossovers in the footwell kick panels

i ran out and used ordinary speaker cable which i recently replaced and yes it made a big difference, i was suprised

i use this stuff http://www.qed.co.uk/cables/speaker/silver_bw.html which is meant for high grade home audio but as i get it very cheap i might as well use it in the car. the bi-wire cable is also handy as it keeps the cable runs a lot neater

Blimey..........that's the stuff that I use for my hifi!! Shit hot stuff it is to. It has a really open sound, and the treble sings........has really nice tight bass as well.........when I changed to it from my old Cable talk 3.1 stuff....it wasn't as lush a sound as it had been.....but the increased clarity was well worth it.