Sign in to follow this  
bristolbaron

1.8 16v cam followers problem? Poss time to uprate Cams?

After thinking my big end bearings had gone and buying a 6A engine, I've now been told that this is not the problem!

A friend was gonna do the conversion for me, but after a second opinion has found that there is actually a problem with the Cam followers, not the big end. (said grinding noise is similar)

Its possible i can get a refund on the replacement block, and i'm looking at buying Cams/Vernier pulley/followers instead and sticking with 1.8, but due to being DOHC cam kits seem very expensive.

Will i see much by the way of gains by fitting high lift Cams, or am i better off just getting the followers sorted for now, and doing Cams & 2.0 conv at a later date? (when funds allow)

If Cams now is recommend, Can anyone recommend what to get/where to go?

I have standard air filter/remus back box only, but i'm concidering further mods in the future.

Thanks in advance,

Baz.

Mate a 1.8KR cam is fine for the job.. no a few peeps running them with a 2.0L bottom end.. save yr money LOL

I have a std KR inlet cam which would be cheap if you want to go down that road. £15 plus delivery.

Gavin

After thinking my big end bearings had gone and buying a 6A engine, I've now been told that this is not the problem!

A friend was gonna do the conversion for me, but after a second opinion has found that there is actually a problem with the Cam followers, not the big end. (said grinding noise is similar)

Its possible i can get a refund on the replacement block, and i'm looking at buying Cams/Vernier pulley/followers instead and sticking with 1.8, but due to being DOHC cam kits seem very expensive.

Will i see much by the way of gains by fitting high lift Cams, or am i better off just getting the followers sorted for now, and doing Cams & 2.0 conv at a later date? (when funds allow)

If Cams now is recommend, Can anyone recommend what to get/where to go?

I have standard air filter/remus back box only, but i'm concidering further mods in the future.

Thanks in advance,

Baz.

You'll really notice the difference of a 2.0 block with a 1.8 head and standard cams, definitely worth doing for all the extra torque if you can get it fitted cheaply, from experience I'd say consider getting your head ported and gas flowed with the standard cams and then do the 2.0 bottom end, don't waste your money on expensive cam kits on an otherwise unmodded 1.8 16v you'll only get a few bhp at the top end and loose low end tractability, not want you want on a 1.8 16v.

Standard 1.8 inlet cam is a good compromise between smooth power delivery, good top end and good spread of torque IMO and works well on flowed heads and 2.0 bottom ends too.

The Glub GTI forum is a good source of info on 16v tuning, I'd say cams are one of the last things to change when you are after peak hp on a highly tuned 16v and better suited to the lighter golf where the trade off in torque is not as noticeable, as a minimum you really need a flowed head to take advantage of them anyway.

David.