Sign in to follow this  
joebloggsVR69

VR6 Brakes

I'm going to change my front brakes soon; previous owner decided on having these saw blades fitted.. Click :shock: :lol:

Apart from getting some *proper* discs, what else should be changed? Am I right in thinking its worth getting new ABS rotor cages at the same time?

Cheers

Id heard them disks actually worked very well, u just changing them because of the looks?

They're really awful - looks and performance!

When I break, it feels as though as they are slightly juddering.

I had someone in the corrado a couple of weeks back (who used to work for VW in the mid 90's and knows corrado's inisde out) and he mentioned how they felt like the standard ones do when they knackered!

Maybe it's a one off, because the reviews say they are supposed to be good

I thought about 288's like yours, but it's just more convenient to stick normal 280's.

Don't really want to have to change calipers, carriers, brake lines etc; it sounds like hard work :lol:

Yeah, was a bit of a nuisance when the brake hoses wouldnt detach from the copper pipes, ended up having to get them renewed as well. :roll:

Any idea when your brake fluid was last changed? Could just be needing that replaced and decent pads, wont help the looks and probably not the juddering either though.

Brake fluid changed last Sept.

Did you change your ABS rotors when you did the 288mm conversion?

I get the impression that if I dont change 'em I'll get the dreaded ABS light constantly on like several others on here :?

No, the abs rings are seperate to the disks on the front so no need to change them, its worth replacing them if you change the rear disks as well though.

You need mass to brake efficiently. Those rotors look like they will be quite brittle. You should stay with slotted rotors, such as ATE'S, if you must get a higher "performance" rotor.