Sign in to follow this  
EHC

Engine swap

Hello All,

I've decided that it may be a good idea to join the forum as I can feel my wallet getting lighter!

The story goes.. there was this Honda Civic Type-R...

135mph and 5 mins later I get this annoying beeping sound, I have a pretty good sound system so it wasnt to much of a problem for about 5 miles. the loss of power ment I had to pull on to the hard shoulder and join the AA who were quite happy to tow me 2 miles to the services for £109.

The next working day I hired a nice TD modeo with a tow bar and a nice car trailer and drove the 150 miles to collect it..

It's now in my garage awaiting a Golf gti lump(1.8 16v K-Jet) which with any luck will be finding its way to me next week..

The questions I have if anyone can help are.. Is it the same engine? is it a straight swap? are the mounts the same?

Many thanks.

if you have a 1988 to 1992 1.8 16V corrado (you don't mention that anywhere!) then yes, it's the same engine... should be a KR engine code... 8)

I think the rear engine and gearbox mounts differ, but you're gonna have to use the 'rado gearbox and the rear engine mount is only 3 bolts to take off anyway... 8)

Good luck, and welcome to The Forum... 8)

Thanks, They are both 88-92 engines, I think I need to get some new mounts anyway as I think there was excessive when putting power on and off. There was also a whurring sounds on the last bit of the clutch biting which I think may be the clutch bearing.

The donor engine comes with a box so I will have to get mounts, will I need to get new caskets for the manifold?

you will need to fit the rado flywheel aswell! im using a golf engine in my rado,remember you cant use golf gearbox as its rod change and yours i cable change!

135mph and 5 mins later I get this annoying beeping sound, I have a pretty good sound system so it wasnt to much of a problem for about 5 miles.

You didn't think to stop then :?

I thought the Corrado 1.8 16V was bigger than the Golf one or is it just the inlet that gives the extra horses?

Well I did stop, I knew it was terminal so I tried for the services anyway which was only 7 miles away... I got 5 out of 7 the AA towed me the other 2..

So you think I need to change the inlet then.. are you sure about the linkages?

The golf engine will proberly have a 50mm inlet as the corrado has 42mm inlet,leave it on and see how you like it!it makes car pull like a train at 5k.Golf gearbox will definatly not fit the corrado,so use the corrado gearbox,clutch and flywheel

I thought the Corrado 1.8 16V was bigger than the Golf one or is it just the inlet that gives the extra horses?

They're both 1781cc. The smaller inlet manifold diameter alters the spread of torque on the Corrado for a fatter curve lower in the rev at the expense of the peak value. Since horsepower is a calculated figure based on torque and engine speed that's where the slight discrepancy comes from in the quoted peak horsepower figures between the two engines.