Sign in to follow this  
blackcat

What is wrong with my clutch?

I've had my car (1.8 16v) for about 6 months now. The biting point on the clutch has always been quite low, but now it judders on pulling away.

Has my clutch had it? What do I need to check/do?

yup, sounds like a clutch on it's way out to me... You may find that bleeding the clutch slave will help slightly, but it's likely that this will only help for a little while...

If it's any consolation, mine's doing the same... :roll: :lol:

yup, sounds like a clutch on it's way out to me...

Damn. :( So many things to fix so little money!!

Which bits will need replacing then?

I changed my clutch about 3k miles ago as it was juddering badly (£100 for the cluch from GSF). It still judders slightly so I'm expecting a slave cylinder failure in the near future. Joy.

yup, sounds like a clutch on it's way out to me... You may find that bleeding the clutch slave will help slightly, but it's likely that this will only help for a little while...

If it's any consolation, mine's doing the same... :roll: :lol:

I wouldn't say its any consolation to her Henny, but I think its amusing.

But I'd have to agree. Try bleeding it first, then a new slave cyl a snip at £37 from vag. Then I'm afraid it looks like gearbox off to check inside. Most probably the friction plate but could be a failing release arm (see the pic of mine when it came out)

I've looked at the GSF website. Does anyone know what the clutch kit includes??

BTW 2cc, it's very nice of you to show me a pic of your release arm but I've no idea what it is or what it's supposed to look like! :wink:

clutch kit includes:

Pressure plate

Friction plate

Release bearing thingy (more of a plate than a bearing in these gearboxes)

Release bearing clip

2CCs release arm has a bend and crack in it that shouldn't be there... This tends to occur when people rest their foot on the clutch pedal while driving which keeps constant pressure on the release arm and eventually will kill both the arm and the clutch...

The slave cylinder is easy to change over, the only tricky bit is bleeding it as you need someone to pull and push on the pedal as you open/close the bleed nipple... It will not bleed properly with an "easy bleed" kit... ;)

Good luck! 8)

on the subject of clutches, mine seems very low too, its just had a new clutch and gearbox, and gear linkage thingy, so can they be adjusted i'm getting used to it slowly, but prefer it a little bit higher than it is

Great I'll add 'change the clutch' to the long list of things to do!

Is it worth getting the clutch kit AND a new slave cylinder or shall I just renew the slave cylinder and see if it helps?

And one last question.....Is it the same on a golf ie can I use the golf haynes manual?

the job is VERY similar to the MKII golf in how you do it, the only bit that differs is the gear linkage as it's cable, not rod operated...

Personally, I'd get a Haynes for a Passat (88-92) as they're almost identical in how to get the box out... ;)

I think I may be doing mine either next weekend or the weekend after that... mine'll be a little more involved though as I'll be swapping the engine, gearbox, ECU and brakes as well! :cuckoo: :lol:

Er, rather you than me!

I'm not going to attempt it this weekend because I want to go to santa pod on sunday and don't want my car in bits!!

I actually reckon it's easier to swap the whole engine, gearbox and ECU than just the gearbox 'cos the box is an utter **** to get out with the engine in place 'cos it's bloody heavy and you have to twist the diff up to get to clear stuff as you take it out/put it back in.. :|

Good luck with it anyway... 8)

Glad you liked my arm blackcat16v 8)

just for the record I don't ride (too old to ride most things nowadays) the clutch, so was very surprised to see the state it was in. Purely out of curiosity, anyone else experienced this, or is it a rarity?

Agree with Henny there...

No offence BlackCat16v but were'nt you asking about changing the water pump before and got put off by the size of the job?- if so you really don't want to be changing a clutch (much more involved) unless you have access to some airtools and a hydraulic lift!! - much more fun to pay someone like Stealth and watch them do it!!

Also - it may not need a clutch change from what i've read, just sounds like a fluid leak somewhere... any signs of fluid ontop of the gearbox/under the slave???

If its done 120k miles and the clutch has never been done then fair enought, change it anyways but otherwise get the slave looked at and changed and fluid bled thru...

I reckon i might have the same trouble. My clutch has been in for 20k miles now. I don't have a fluid leak but the clutch pedal seems spongy (if that makes sense). Is it easy to bleed the system? Is it just a case of undo the bleed nipple and pressing the pedal (similar to brakes?)

No offence BlackCat16v but were'nt you asking about changing the water pump before and got put off by the size of the job?- if so you really don't want to be changing a clutch (much more involved) unless you have access to some airtools and a hydraulic lift!! - much more fun to pay someone like Stealth and watch them do it!!

Also - it may not need a clutch change from what i've read, just sounds like a fluid leak somewhere... any signs of fluid ontop of the gearbox/under the slave???

If its done 120k miles and the clutch has never been done then fair enought, change it anyways but otherwise get the slave looked at and changed and fluid bled thru...

No offence taken :wink: Yes I was a bit put off by how complicated the water pump sounded to change, decided to give it a go though. If the worst happens and I cannot get my car back together there is a mechanic in my village who will come and sort it out (I will play the helpless woman card). The same mechanic is going to do my clutch. He says if I get the bits he'll fit them for £80.

I don't think its ever had a clutch change and its now pushing 140k.

£80 labour on a clutch in a Corrado is bloody good... 8) Go for that! :lol:

£80 labour on a clutch in a Corrado is bloody good... 8) Go for that! :lol:

Yeah he's quite reasonable, I don't think his main job is a mechanic but he definately knows what he's doing. Might ask him how much it'll be to do water pump at same time, but I have limited funds. I graduated last year and am still living in my student overdraft!!

Sorry for asking you guys loads of questions about it but I wanted to work out which job, if any, I wanted to attempt myself.

Anyways, thanks for all your advice :D