Sign in to follow this  
gordy

help on lamba probe wiring

can someone with a corrado vr6 have a look at the wiring on there lamba probe ..i need to know what wire gose where on the plug that plugs in to the lamba probe .. colour of wires are yellow, white,brown,white and red , plus a black one dont have a clue where the black one goes either.5 wires in all cheers

4 way connector. looks a five way connector but one is a dummy. pins are numbered 1, ,2,3,4.

Probe end

pin 1 - white wire ) heater wire, non specific orientation

pin 2 - white wire ) heater wire, non specific orientation

pin 3 - grey wire

pin 4 - black wire

ECU end

pin 1 - red with white stripe wire

pin 2 - brown wire

pin 3 - yellow wire

pin 4 - white wire

Black wire. Is that the lambda black wire or another spare wire?

OK, if “black wire” refers to the lambda probe black wire…..

Wiring beyond the connector under brake servo ECU connection side...

pin 1 - red with white stripe wire goes to the lambda heating relay pin 8 (12 volts probe heating). Relay number on the case is 53. Sits at the fuse relay plate but not on it. It’s floating up above in the wiring.

pin 2 - brown wire goes to earth inside the ECU loom.

pin 3 - yellow wire goes to ECU’s connector pin 42.

pin 4 - white wire goes to ECU’s connector pin 20.

the black wire i cant fine a home for is in with the wires that connect to the lamba probe (redwhite,brown,yellow,white,and black)

It's an earthed sheild coonection for the ECU - Probe connection loom and goes to ground inside the ECU loom side. The lambda probe wiring may also be sheilded and there is possibly a matching black wire but neither pass through the connector. On late Corrados the wire isn't used. So, if there isn't a fifth wire on the probe wiring loom side, just stow it so it doesn't earth any adjacent wires. If there is a fifth wire on the probe side and it's black, then you need to determine which black wire is the sheild wire and which is in the loom as a wire by visual inspection.

Double check it does go to earth by testing it for going to earth (chassis anywhere) with a resistance meter. It earths inside the loom.

I'm having problems with my VR again at the moment - it's suddenly using too much fuel. I've got an AFR meter installed and can see that after driving the car for a while the upper value it shows gets lower and lower until it's constantly showing lean. I know this could be several things, but I want to concentrate on the lambda sensor first (which was replaced last August).

I've attached a scan of the wiring diagram from the Bentley (which shows what you've said above RW1, including the possible shield connection). The diagram also shows a ground connection from within the sensor but I can't work out where that is. I want to check it / replace it to ensure that's not causing a problem. So, what I need to know is where does the sensor earth?

Cheers,

Tony.

On my G60 it earths to a nut just next to the plug very close to the rear engine mount, not sure if the VR is the same or not...

I think the G60 wiring must be different to the VR then as I couldn't see any additional connections near the plug. Also, the wiring diagram states a plug reference and pin number for the other connections - but not the ground.

Is it self-earthing where it connects into the exhaust?

the earth connection on my g60 is from the top of the plug, to a ring terminal on the bolt on the bracket that holds the plug