Sign in to follow this  
tomace

Starting Problems

Driving a 1.8 16v 89 corrado.

Problem started 2 months ago, wouldn't start very seldom.

Turned key and nothing happens.

Problem got progressively worse. Now it won't start (only with a push) but when started it will start on the key straight after you switch it off, if you leave it for 5 mins or so after starting it won't start again.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem.

I think it's the starter but not sure :roll:

When you say "turned key and nothing happens" that sounds like either the ign switch is on its way out or the starter is.

My valver used to do that but only when HOT. Always started from cold. I rigged some test wires from the solenoid and ran them into the car with a meter on the end so I could check where voltages were getting to (or not). In my case the solenoid was always being fed, just not energising when hot. Initially I replaced it with a euro parts starter but the same problem returned after about 18 mths; fitted a new (genuine vag) starter and its been fine ever since.

Problem used to initially happen only when car was hot but it then changet to when car was cold.

Checked the starter solenoid and there is voltage going to it when i turn ignition.

Have a ney starter ordered so hope it works.

Thanks