Sign in to follow this  
Mk1VR6

Ignition switch wiring

Hi Guys & Gals

Thought you guys would be the best to ask.

My car uses the full wiring loom & dash to go with the VR6 engine. It has never had a stereo fitted so I'm gonna fit one. However only the required parts of the loom were installed & therefore there is not stereo wiring.

Can someone tell me - either out of the fusebox, or off the ingition switch, which is the permanent live, & which is the igniton switched live before I start fiddling??

;-)

cheers all

Mike

Welcome to The Forum... 8)

IMHO, Your best bet is to use a seperate live straight from the battery (with a fuse near the battery of course!) and earth the stereo onto a decent earthing point as close to the stereo as possible... Ignition live should be a brown with a red stripe, but I'm not sure where that appears from, so that may not be fitted to your wiring loom... Probably worth probing about with a multimeter to find a suitable point on your fuse box and then adding in a wire for the ignition live... Personally, I never use the ignition lives and just wire my stereos in to a permanent live... 8)

On the back of the fusebox you'll find a big fat red wire, next to it should also be live all the time. I'd go from there with a fuse. If you follow the wires from the ign switch there will be a black wire, this is ign live. All earths in dubs are brown so pick the fattest one you can and follow it back to where it joins the chassis and earth at the same place.

Having had VWs for years including MK1s, I am like Henny and have got used to turning my own stereo off. :wink:

Gavin

Thanks Guys,

I was just gonna wire it into a permanent live meself, but warnings on the multi changer say that if left on it could drain your battery over several days. As it is a weekender & sunny days, sometimes doesnt come out for weeks, hence why I was actually following the instructions for once! ( gotta be a first!)

will start prodding with me multi meter!

cheers

Mike

cheers chaps.

as it happens had the fuse box out - found a switched live & permanent live for the backup. However now me bloody speedo doesnt work, so god knows what I dislodged behind there. P***ed off now.

Never thought of the rear demister as a switched live. Bugger. Wish I had!

Anyone knowhow I may have screwed up the speedo?

Bloody car electics.

cheers all

Mike

check that ALL of the multiplugs on the back of the fuse box are fully pushed into place, sounds like you've dis-lodged one and it's making a partial connection... ;)

Ok all

finally had to give in & take it to the Auto Electricians ;-(

Thanks for all your help anyhow.

Speedo was a disconnected wire hidden away.

Some of the other stuff that had died (lost me indicators & odds & ends) were various places , some behind the stalks. Basically the car is so hard - I think its just rattling evrything out of its sockets on & off the track!

He had soldered & crimped things in pretty tight for me. Cost me £55 - but took him a coulple of hours, so musnt grumble.

again thanks all

Mike