Sign in to follow this  
rado

distributor assmbly oil leak

hi am wondering if any of u can help i have an oil leak coming through my distributor assmbly on my 1.8 h reg corado have found out u cant get the seal seperate so have to replace the whole unit and was wondering if any of u had same prob and knew any alternatives to payin nearly 100 quid for a new unit ie cheaper unit from somewhere else other than dealer part other wise itll have to be the 100 quid :cry:

:D

I've moved this thread to "engine bay" as it's not really a wanted advert... :|

There's 2 seals which fail on the dizzys on the 1.8 16v. The one that Dave mentions above which is replaceable and one inside the main body which is not and so requires a new dizzy to be installed.

I'm pretty certain that GSF / ECP do these a fair bit cheaper than £100... :|

Anyone got a model no/part no for this replaceable dizzy seal? Been looking recently myself at a new distributor for my 16V, my hall sender is a bit loose, I have it fixed in tight with some clips but its not the most ideal set-up.

Priced the hall sender from GSF and they are around £25-30 a new distributor costs around £65-70 + VAT Bosch ones are around £70-75 + VAT

I heard there is some sealant you can get for the rocker cover also that can prevent such leaks out that side?

I have noticed a leak into the distributor on mine today too, i thought i'd tidy it up and put a new set of HT leads on her and noticed the oil in and around the distributor.

I'm pretty sure my leak isn't the outer o ring between the head and distributor, as it was new when i put the new head on in january, and besides the oil shouldn't get into the distributor if it was that one leaking.

Does this mean I can look forward to spending more money in GSF? I wacked £120 on my switch card this morning in there. Arse.

Just as a quick update. I bought a radar detector and just before i had a long journey, i thought i'd just pop down the road to see if the thing actually worked. when i came to turn round to go home, the car just stopped. it wouldn't fire when i tried to spin it over, after a quick play looking i over, i had a suspicion it was ignition based, a nice AA man rocked up, and confirmed there was no spark. I managed to get an exchange bosch distributor from euro car parts for £78 (no where else even had one) and I was running again easily enough. It looks like the oil ingress might have damaged the hall sender unit or something, although i didn't expect that.