Sign in to follow this  
funky

chip and pulley problem

i recently fitted my car with a jabbachip and pulley it ran awful spluttering so bad like it was hitting the limiter spoke to darren checked all obvious things and decided being as i bought chip secondhand off e bay this could be it, now ive fitted a new jabba chip and its like it again anyone have any ideas ? ive tried new vacum hoses,dist cap rotor arm, plugs, tried timing, all to no avail

tia

funk

funky

Have you spoke to Mike at Jabba Sport, he is very helpful.

Err.....the problem?? :? ....(cough) could it possibly be the err (cough) J@bb@ (cough) chip??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What was it like before the chip?

Sounds as though the ignition map is up the swanny or you have massive overfuelling..... take the chip out for now, then at least you can run the car.

but dosent it run perfectly on the std chip !! if it does i think you have again answer'd you problem :lol: :lol:

but surely there are hundreds of g6o,s running jabba chips and they cant all run like crap i think the car may have had a slight prob b4 the chip but the extra power ie fuel boost has highlighted the problem both jabba chips have been exactly the same the car feels to me as if its not getting enough fuel but sometimes if you keep the throttle nailed it will drive thruogh it,i think its time for a rr session as tsr

funk

i think it could have been me that sold you the chip...i can confirm it did run properly with a 68mm pulley..is that the size you have?

are you sure you didnt damage anything when you had the ecu out? is the vac on securley? how old are your plugs maybe the extra boost is needing a better spark..always use the pukka exp plugs

Err.....the problem?? ....(cough) could it possibly be the err (cough) J@bb@ (cough) chip??

LOL... What I mean is they might be able to advise you on what to check like what you guys are doing now...

Sorry, i couldn't resist :D

Check the basics mate, what spark plugs you using?

Is the problem just on part throttle or does the car feel wrong on full throttle too?

Extra power from a chip and pulley shouldnt affect your part throttle driving. If the problem you had before was on full throttle then i can understand it being exaggerated with a chip and pulley however if it was on part throttle then it shouldn't have got worse. (Depending on the problem)

normal driving is fine its only full throttle it happens but could be anywhere in the rev range its just like hitting the limiter at say 3.5k keep it nailed kangaroos a bit and then goes on accelerating

im using bosch plugs

steveo29 i bought the chip and pulley new off e bay

funky

The worst case of Digi-Lag ever?? :shock:

Was there any sign of this problem with the standard chip??

Bosch w6DPO?

If you progressively put your foot down, does it still do the kangaroo?

It could be your ignition timing being slightly to advanced.Try retarding it a bit as the knock sensor might be picking up a little knock.

Does rather sound like the knock sensor retarding things as the symptoms seem to be, as you say when the car is under load. G60 engines are extremly sensitive to pinking, it may just be that the disi ignition is just a little too advanced for the jabba chip. Check the knock sensor cable itself for any signs of physical damage, we have come across several G60 raddo's we have done work on this year where the outer insulating casing of the cable has perished, cracked and exposed the core of the cable. When the knock sensor cable is in this state it creates the symtoms that you describe. A new one from VAG is about 50 quid, slightly cheaper from GPC in Luton.

I have a Jabba sport chip on my car fitted before I got it. When the timeing was set to standard(vw recomended) it behaved in a similar way. All I know is that my timing is now set way off what VW recomended. Sorry I'm not that technical, but I think it was retarded from standard rather than advanced but not absoultly certain. I didn't think chips where suposed to affect timing though??

It is all to do with how the ignition maps are mapped on a particular chip. If there is a advanced ignition map written on a chip it is somtimes necessary to physically retard the distributer timing and vice versa with a retarded chip.

Cars do need the CO pot adjusing and the timing (and idealy valve timing) dialed in when any chip is fitted for them to run smoothly and to the maximum potential. There are no set values for CO adjustment or distributer ignition timing, every car responds diffrently and has to be set up differently according to other mods that have been done to the engine and octane rating of fuel used regularly etc.

I cannot comment on Jabba chips to much as we only have set cars up using the UK spec SNS chips.

still trying to solve this problem i have noticed the knock sensor wire is perished thanks beavis ill get one of these ordered going to book it into tsr ive done as much as i can time to leave it to the pro,s

thanks

funky

dont book it in untill you have fitted the knock sensor mate it could well be sorted after fitting this ? make sure u use the correct torque setting when fitting it though..

dont book it in untill you have fitted the knock sensor mate it could well be sorted after fitting this ? make sure u use the correct torque setting when fitting it though..

I totally agree with Darren.

We have had a couple of cars that were really badly behaved, pinking there tits off on light throttle, hesitation, misfireing etc, once the knock sensor had been changed all problems were irradicated leaving the car ready to have the timing and CO set up.

Everybody with a G60 should go check there knock sensor, it is the 1st thing we check on any car we see now, about 1 in 3 cars have a perished cable casing and need replacing. If your luckey enough to have a intact one, then make sure it is not incontact with the block or shafing on any other engine ancilary.

could someone please clarify where the knock sensor is on the engine and what colour wires go to it. i may have mistaken it for something else the part i was looking at is behind the alternator into a piece that looks like a core plug with a coax type wire,what is this?

tia

funk

That sounds like it FUNKY, Black circular object with a bolt through the centre of it. with one thick insulated wire coming of it. on the front of the block. :D

welll i finally getting to the bottom of this prob i left it with the mechanic at work for a couple of hours and it seems better i had done as said on the sns site which was to mark the dizzy and try timing by ear he put a strobe on it and even on my marks its miles out so now ive lost the spluttering but it feels a little flat im thinking it needs advancing slightlybut at least now im getting somewhere

Don't forget to disconnect the blue temp sender on the front of your engine before you start trying to do the timing. This will stop the ecu from trying to correct any incorrect timing.

Just done mine today - goes like a missile now. :lol:

Hey guys...i'm having the same problem with a bbm chip..car was great before chip...put the chip, isv rerought, fpr3.5 and rally outlet in...now my car will only run as long as i dont punch the gas...can feather th r's up but as soon as i get on it ...sputter crap.....my first vw...and dont know tons about it...any help....things i know its not cuz i changed them today..plugs wire cap rotor,fuel filter fpr.. pulled my blue temp snsor while running idle went down almost to a stall then back up some changed all my vac lines.....rechecked all my airflow lines two other peeps e-mailed me with same prob. after intalling chips all diff manufactures

edit for Caps...... Pau1

HEY GUYS...I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH A BBM CHIP..CAR WAS GREAT BEFORE CHIP...PUT THE CHIP, ISV REROUGHT, FPR3.5 AND RALLY OUTLET IN...NOW MY CAR WILL ONLY RUN AS LONG AS I DONT PUNCH THE GAS...CAN FEATHER TH R'S UP BUT AS SOON AS I GET ON IT ...SPUTTER CRAP.....MY FIRST VW...AND DONT KNOW TONS ABOUT IT...ANY HELP....THINGS I KNOW ITS NOT CUZ I CHANGED THEM TODAY..PLUGS WIRE CAP ROTOR,FUEL FILTER FPR.. PULLED MY BLUE TEMP SNSOR WHILE RUNNING IDLE WENT DOWN ALMOST TO A STALL THEN BACK UP SOME CHANGED ALL MY VAC LINES.....RECHECKED ALL MY AIRFLOW LINES TWO OTHER PEEPS E-MAILED ME WITH SAME PROB. AFTER INTALLING CHIPS ALL DIFF MANUFACTURES

Is your new chip specifically designed for use with a 3.5bar FPR ??

Possible ISV re-route problem ??

it is made to be used with a 3.5.....i've changed everything i can think of...going crazy...my plugs are black with fuel...my exaust is white....i know im getting to much fuel and flooding out....could timing do that..or a sensor???? I'm lost at this point :?: