Sign in to follow this  
funky

chip and pulley problem

Don't forget to disconnect the blue temp sender on the front of your engine before you start trying to do the timing. This will stop the ecu from trying to correct any incorrect timing.

Just done mine today - goes like a missile now. :lol:

Hi,stevemac. why is it that when I connect the blue temp sensor the idle on the car starts going up and down like crazy, I am still driving it without the blue sensor.

Hi,stevemac. why is it that when I connect the blue temp sensor the idle on the car starts going up and down like crazy, I am still driving it without the blue sensor.

Your car should run very badly with the blue temp sensor disconnected. The automatic timing advance mechanism in the ECU will not be functioning. This should mean that when your engine revs rise, the running becomes progressively worse - holding back etc.

Try connecting the plug which should plug onto the blue temp sensor onto the black temp sensor instead. The black temp sensor is essentially the same part and only controlls the dash temp indicator. If this makes your engine run correctly then your blue temp sensor is faulty.

Set the timing to approx 6 degrees BTDC (depending on the octane rating of fuel that you use - high octane = 7 degrees BTDC) with the blue temp sensor disconnected. Connect plug to a correctly functioning blue temp sensor and you should be okay.

Also check the condition of your "knock" sensor & cable. This will be bolted to the front of your engine with a thickish black cable coming from it. Visually check the condition of the cable - it is fairly common for the this to wear.

Hope this makes sense