Sign in to follow this  
BenM

Hot starting problem

I've owned a 1990 1.8 16v for the last 2 years, and since I've had it it has problems starting when hot. It usually occurs when I've been sat in traffic and the temp gauge goes up towards 110 - if I switch the engine off and the try to restart it, it turns over once then sounds like its really struggling to turn over again. After a few seconds of nothing it eventually kicks in and starts up. I've never been too bothered by this because it has always started eventually, but it seems to be getting worse, as this week I had to try 4 times before it eventually cranked over and

started.

Some history: I had the head gasket done 18 months ago as there was oil in the water, since then it uses no oil or water and there is no evidence of mayo. The battery is also 18 months old, but the leads are old and could probably do with replacing. I have the usual problem with the cold start valve, which I have disconnected.

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be appreciated - it's not a problem that happens often, as when its cold it starts on the first turn of the key, and generally speaking the engine is strong as anything. I'm not sure if its electrical or mechanical - it almost sounds like its some kind of hydraulic lock.

Cheers

Ben

next time it does it, disconnect the blue plug on the 5th injector on the end of the manifold and THEN try starting her again... sounds to me like this could be leaking and over-fuelling/flooding the engine slightly when hot...

If it's better with the plug disconnected, then you've found your problem, if it's not, then at least you've eliminated it from the equation... 8)

I disconnected the 5th injector as soon as I got the car - it was overfuelling when starting from cold, so disconnected it and now it starts on the first turn of the key when cold.

It only does this when the engine is REALLY hot - under normal running temperatures its generally fine.

OK, that's good to know... in that case it sounds to me like your starter motor is struggling... clean up all of the contacts on it with some sandpaper (with the battery disconnected!!!) and clean up the engine earth strap too... If that's no better, then it may be time to change the starter motor...